cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections Low SNR at Evening

ONeill
Grafter

Re: Disconnections Low SNR at Evening

Thanks for trying to help ejs but I was not asking you, was asking DCT here if he could have a look at the profiles for me  Roll_eyes
Well it looks like what ever he done yesterday has increased the Line Attenuation for no reason what so ever  Angry
1. The interference/problem is still on and looks like it will be on for one of it's 4 days stints that it does, so can you sort out for BT to do a lift and shift as this is the only way I can see at the minute to help eliminate/fix the problem.
2. I don't like the way the BT engineer had to come in to do his tests when he had the notes and was told not to and just raise a rein case instead
3. I don't like the way that the engineer moved me from one cable to another one and in doing so increased my Line Attenuation
4. At this rate it looks like I'm going to be stuck with slow broadband, compared to what I have had at Plusnet and at O2   Angry
5. Can you sort me out a replacement modem/router please as I need to eliminate the modem and the other problems I am having with it please.
6. Some thing is going on, just checked router and I now seem to have CRC and HEC errors .
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Well it looks like what ever he done yesterday has increased the Line Attenuation for no reason what so ever

Andy has noted this on the Fault Ticket and is taking action.
1. The interference/problem is still on and looks like it will be on for one of it's 4 days stints that it does, so can you sort out for BT to do a lift and shift as this is the only way I can see at the minute to help eliminate/fix the problem.

Our Faults Team will chase this for you. As I say, Andy is dealing with this personally.
2. I don't like the way the BT engineer had to come in to do his tests when he had the notes and was told not to and just raise a rein case instead

Agreed, again, something that Andy has noted on your Fault Ticket. Andy is chasing this for you.
3. I don't like the way that the engineer moved me from one cable to another one and in doing so increased my Line Attenuation

As noted above, this has been recognised and Andy will chase this with our suppliers.
4. At this rate it looks like I'm going to be stuck with slow broadband, compared to what I have had at Plusnet and at O2

I don't think that's a fair assumption to make as we're still investigating the issue. we're aware there is still an issue and Andy has this in hand and is working hard with our suppliers to rectify the fault. I appreciate that it's frustrating, however faults aren't always simple and straight forward to resolve.
5. Can you sort me out a replacement modem/router please as I need to eliminate the modem and the other problems I am having with it please.

We wouldn't send a replacement router out unless we believe that it is this at fault. If Andy believes the router is faulty, he will replace the hardware for you. As it stands, it doesn't look as though this is the case. I'm not saying it's not the router, I'm saying we can't send routers out on the off-chance that it might be that at fault.
6. Some thing is going on, just checked router and I now seem to have CRC and HEC errors .

Andy will be looking at this. Please give Andy some time to look at the fault. He's got other faults as well as yours to look at, but please do give him some time.
ONeill
Grafter

Ok thanks Chris, just have to wait until I hear from Andy again  ;), can you make sure when he rings me that he rings my home phone and not my mobile as I get poor reception up here  Shocked
I do find it strange that BT will replace the cable from the exchange to the green cabinet but wont replace the 1970's aluminium cable that run from the green cabinet to the hole next to the pole, because I believe that if they done that it would help not just me but alot of people on the older cable and also give increase broadband speed, has he found yesterday while testing the old cable, went from 4700 on old cable to 5500 on new cable to the cabinet  Shocked Grin
On a side note my Download Speed is 2.76 Mbps, which I believe is below the 2.8 Mbps threshold or so I've been told ?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've left a note for Andy to ensure he calls you on your landline as opposed to your mobile number.
On a side note my Download Speed is 2.76 Mbps, which I believe is below the 2.8 Mbps threshold or so I've been told ?

That could be quite right - still being investigated though and I'm sure Andy will spot that pretty quickly. I've sent Andy the link to this thread anyway, in case he fancies a read.
ONeill
Grafter

New graph added
It's now gone back upto 10.6 dB on SNR, so what ever it is it's still happening and so good for the fix.
ONeill
Grafter

Had another resync with it at SNR 11.7 dB and my new stats below  Embarrassed Sad Angry
Now I really am annoyed at BT for moving me cables and messing me up, gone from 4700 kbps to now 3918 kbps  Roll_eyes Angry
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 3,918

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 9.66 / 10.86

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 35.3 / 57.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.4 / 6.1

Edit
Can any one tell me what Bit Loading, Bits/Tones mean please as I've seen spikes on top of the peaks in it when the interference/problem is on.
ONeill
Grafter

1. Work has been done at the exchange started friday -Tuesday,  Been told it was a Tie Pair Modification what ever that is ?

2.  Whats the difference between Tie Pair Modification and Lift and shift. ?

3. Could see my DSL stats on the thompson router while the work was carried out but could not bring up link so doubt a lift an shift was done ?.
4. What ever the interference or problem is, it's still happening, graph added
5. This time can a REIN case be sorted out and BT engineer listen to what he is told and not come barging and insisting that he do his tests first.
6. Not Sure what is happening but Thomson 582n showing Line attenuation of 57.5 dB but Netgear DGN3500 showing Line Attenuation of 52.6 dB ?
ONeill
Grafter

Not sure what happen, I tryed my Netgear router and Line Attenuation has gone to 52.6 dB, but when I try the thomson 582n it goes back upto 57.5 dB.  Shocked but both are also showing low sync rates  Angry
Could it be faulty thomson router, faulty Netgear router or exchange problem still ?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not sure.
Ideally the best thing to do would be to wait for Andy to continue getting further information from our suppliers and he should be in a good position to answer the questions you've put across to him on your Fault Ticket.
ONeill
Grafter

Well Just had another engineer come out, was not told he was coming.  Angry
He could hear noise at the pole but could not see any errors on his machine and does not think it's a REIN problem but thinks instead that it's an exchange problem and that it is ok to have a slow speed and fluctuating SNR.  Roll_eyes
He suggested that the SNR be fixed at 6.0 dB, well sorry it is fixed at 6.0 dB, second BT engineer done that one .  Roll_eyes
He did suggest getting fibre to sort my problem out, Yeah ok just because you lot want to get out of doing your job and want me to pay more for broadband.  Angry
Now really annoyed with BT and there engineers and there attitudes towards me and for also not listening and being treated like I did know nothing about it or my problem and that this is normal and it's okay to have a slow speed compared to what I was getting  Angry Shocked
I do really wish that some one at Plusnet or BT would listen and rasie my upload speed back to 864 kbps, it's now at 446 kbps and to remove the banding or rasie the profile, having slow broadband speed again, well I think it's down to BT who are monitoring my line but dont want to admit it  Angry
Now I do really wish I had stayed with O2/Sky and now really do regret joining plusnet with BT that do not know what they are doing.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I'll flag this up with Andy to chase up.
ONeill
Grafter

Had a REIN engineer last week that found a source of rein about 100 meters away, it's that bad that the next door neighbour to the problem can't get on the internet after 4 pm and will be affecting everybody with in the area of the problem.  Shocked
Had a call from Andy who now wants to close my case as BT have told him that they have come to dead lock on it and can't do nothing else now.  Angry
BT won't even send another REIN engineer out to make sure that it's the same source or a new source that is on now  Angry
So now I am stuck with a line that is slower then before I even contacted plusnet about the problem, Can only sync at 4000 on a good day with out the REIN on, was getting 4700 - 4800 before it all started and can only get about 2974 with the REIN on. ( I did have 4700 - 4800 with O2 for years)  Angry
Line attenuation gone up from 53.0 dB to 57.5 no one can tell me why, I think it's because I am on a different longer cable then before but now sure.  Roll_eyes
So now it looks like I am now even more screwed then I ever was before with a slower, crapper line and with Plusnet and BT that will not do a thing about it, so there moto is be thankful you have broadband at all or at least thats the message I am getting from Plusnet and BT, gets worse when Andy from PN who suggested that I contact ofcom for advice  >:(, I mean come on what the hell have I been doing then talking to Plusnet and BT for then. Roll_eyes
So thanks for the NO help and leaving me with a slower more rubbish line and for the poor 7 BT engineer attitudes that I've had  Angry
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry to hear that the issue is still ongoing.
Unfortunately there is very little else we can do. As I've said on a few occasions previously, BT Openreach have investigated the REIN Issue as a gesture of good will. BT Openreach don't have to investigate or work to resolve the issue if it is outside of their domain.
BT Openreach are responsible for ensuring that any maintenance/provision/faults are dealt with on their network. If a shop sign with lights in is causing REIN for example, it's not up to BT Openreach to fix that unfortunately.
I appreciate the position that you're in, but there is very little  we or our suppliers can do about a REIN Issue that is outside of our/their control. If you'd like to add any further notes in relation to this issue, I would advise adding them to your Fault Ticket for Andy to see.
ONeill
Grafter

Yeah yeah, will you lot ie plusnet and BT stop repeating yourself about it, there is a problem and it's affecting everybody in my area but here we have lazy BT that don't wont to do a job because they feel that REIN is not important, sorry it is important, it's becoming more and more common in this day and age and BT don't wont to do anything about it, does not help when you have to have BT for your line rental and you can't use any one else. Angry
Oh look it's doing it again connected at 4160 kbps but only getting 2463 kbps on speed test, time to moan on the phone again  ::), some thing is not booting me back up again and loves to force me down low  Angry
Oh and if this is the way that BT and plusnet treat there customers then I do really wish that I could turn back time and stay with O2/Sky Roll_eyes
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This is very frustrating, but dealing with the source of REIN is outside of the remit of ISPs and I believe BTOR.  This might need to be taken to some other body under the interference with telegraphy and telecommunications legislation.
Sometimes the most effective remedy s to go and knock on he door on the source and ask if they know they are interfering with everyone's phone systems?
Ofcom might be able to help here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.