Re: Disappearing 2GB allowance

Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: purleigh
[quote=rongtw]Norton is the biggest pile of poop around    Shocked

I think you will find that that title belongs to Windows !
Reading this thread reminds me of all the reasons why I jumped ship from Windows to Ubuntu.
Constantly battling against the PC to do the simplest thing, when all you want to do is some web browsing or write a document, but instead throwing your hands in the air in despair and shouting "WHAT THE HELL IS IT DOING NOW !!!"
Running Windows is like being a parent to a helpless baby, keeping you awake at night, takes forever to wake up when you want to play, constantly needs feeding with updates, checking security every minute of the day, being on constant alert for what unexpected thing it's going to do next, and clearing up the poop after it has crashed again.

What experience do you have of Windows 7?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=jelv]What experience do you have of Windows 7?
I have owned, used, and still have the disks for -
       Windows/286 v2.0
       Windows/386 v2.1
       Windows v3.0
       Windows v3.1
       Windows WfW v3.11
       Windows 95
       Windows NT v4.0
       Windows 98
       Windows 2000 Pro
       Windows ME (Millennium Edition)
       Windows XP Home & Pro
I personally gave up at Vista, as that seemed to be a huge mistake all round.
As for Windows 7,  well I just didn't see the point, because as with every previous version of Windows, Microsoft tell you that the new version fixes all the instability of the one that went before, and then when you install the latest and greatest you discover it's just the same but with a slightly more polished interface but with even less driver support than before.  In addition, I frequently repair friends PC's, and I have now seen three different Windows 7 machines where within weeks of buying their pride and joy, the new PC apparently just loses great chunks of the directory structure.  Having seen this first hand, I will NOT be using or recommending Windows 7 anytime soon !

It's not like I didn't give Windows a fair chance !   Roll_eyes
Just for the record, my favourite version of Windows were the OS/2 releases  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Apart from ME my experience is the same as yours. I missed Vista and went straight from XP to Win 7.
takes forever to wake up when you want to play,

I was staggered by how much faster Windows 7 is to start up than XP.
I've tried Linux twice - the learning curve appeared so great I gave up. It looks an excellent choice for geeks.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

... I frequently repair friends PC's, and I have now seen three different Windows 7 machines where within weeks of buying their pride and joy, the new PC apparently just loses great chunks of the directory structure.

I repair PCs for a living and have yet to see this.  JamesM's mum's problem sounds particularly weird.  One thing about Windows 7, you must use the Windows 7 installation disc to format (or re-format) the hard drive.  The way it does for NTFS this is subtly different to Windows XP or, possibly, third-party disc format software.