cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaponting WiFi range with new fibre optic install

ageinghippy
Dabbler

Disaponting WiFi range with new fibre optic install

Hi recently moved home and took the opportunity to get fibre optic and whilst I'm reasonably happy with generally net speeds  not so with WiFi. Almost unreachable in rear of the house (only a small mid terrace).
    Currently I have BT box and separate plusnet WiFi router. The BT  installer said he was surprised as Plusnet normally supply a newer BT box which does not require a separate WiFi box?
    I still have my original Plusnet bb router and a Billion router I used in my old home. Could I
    deploy my old Plusnet router and billion around the house connected by power line to extend wifi?

should I swap out new plusnet router with billion router?
should I buy extender(s)
Trevor
PS HTML is a pain to work with here on a tablet 😞
5 REPLIES 5
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Disaponting WiFi range with new fibre optic install

Quote from: ageinghippy
Hi recently moved home and took the opportunity to get fibre optic and whilst I'm reasonably happy with generally net speeds  not so with WiFi. Almost unreachable in rear of the house (only a small mid terrace).
Currently I have BT box and separate plusnet WiFi router. The BT  installer said he was surprised as Plusnet normally supply a newer BT box which does not require a separate WiFi box?
I still have my original Plusnet bb router and a Billion router I used in my old home. Could I
deploy my old Plusnet router and billion around the house connected by power line to extend wifi?
should I swap out new plusnet router with billion router?
should I buy extender(s)
Trevor
PS HTML is a pain to work with here on a tablet 😞

Yes we know, read on....
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Already reposted without the stupid scrolling so I'll delete my repost.
ageinghippy
Dabbler

Sorry not sure how move command go in???
trevor
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Probably sausage fingers with the tablet. I hadn't even noticed the button before.
It is possible to mess around with some normal ADSL routers and use their WiFi but it doesn't always work and requires some tweaking of the settings. You'd need homeplug extenders anyway if you can't run ethernet so imo you may as well buy a purpose built wifi extender.
Assuming you have a BT modem then the router needs to be what is often called a cable router and most ADSL routers won't work. If you post up the actual model numbers of what you have then I or somebody else may be able to advise on that but my guess is you need to stick with what was installed, forget about the ADSL routers you have and buy a powerline wifi repeater/extender.
From a quick product search it seems powerline is a better term to use than homeplug. You may get away with a simple plug in wifi repeater but the range and speed is likely to be less than getting a unit that will act either as an AP or a wired repeater.
MrC
Grafter

If the existing BT modem/router setup isn't ideally situated for wifi coverage then another option is to leave the BT modem where it is, place the router where it will cover the house (or those rooms you're most interested in getting coverage in) and then connect the two via powerline adapters.
Doing that here with a DSL-320B DSL 'modem' in bridge mode and a WRT610N router connected using 2 Devolo 200AVplus adapters. Works a treat.