cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disapointing Service !

hoggle

Disapointing Service !

ID: 21465879
The above Id no. was a ticket that i raised a while ago regarding the service that i am receiving from Plusnet !  As a customer of 4+ years @ £21.99 a month, I am unable to Watch a download stream of 400kbs at peak time !
I pay this tarrif monthly regardless of my usage ! Is this because of Capping, Fair usage......... etc ?  The Monies that i pay for this service is  no way reflected in the Product that i receive !
I'm sure that you will agree !  If it is indeed because of Capping, Fair usage agreement, i will then move to a suitable provider !  Please let me know , many thanks Stuart.
19 REPLIES 19
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Disapointing Service !

Is this a particular download stream - or any stream?
Servers of downloads can get very congested, especially at peak time. If you want to discuss this publicly, you really need to supply additional info.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Merrick
Grafter

yeah it could be that what you are whaching or trying to whach is on a very busy server and its at that end, not PN end, that the problem is.
James
Grafter

Hi Stuart,
That ticket closed after our guys responded to you because you didn't reply within 14 days.
Could you possibly let us know if this is only affecting your streaming or is web browsing also slow?
We would need you to try running some tests as mentioned in your ticket.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Well, I speak as I find good or bad.  So far, and I say so far because as yet I have been with Plusnet for less than a fortnight   I am impressed with their customer support service.
Was warned that my connection speed would vary for the first 10 days  which it did. It varied between 1.9 and 2.8 mbps   for the first 7 days , and then it went up to an average of approx 5mbps
for about 3 days until yesterday when it dropped right down to approx .4mbps .
However, it was quite a coincidence that the speed  dropped  immediately after I had fitted my old NTL  box  to the incoming box . The reason  I did this is because I will be changing to home phone on the 11th. .On the deal that I made with NTL years ago.  If I spend more than £15 p.m  on phone calls my Dial-up  Internet  is free 24/7   BUT, if I don't  I  still pay  £15.  Well I  have only used about £7 this month,  so, I thought I might as well have my £15's  worth as I'm paying for it .

I disconnected  the box immediately, later in the evening my speed improved to approx   .7 mbps  but not good . I happened to see that you can do a speedtest within the PN site which I did .
The results said that compared to previous tests this was not good, so I proceeded to fill in the fault checker. When I got to the point were it asked if I had made any changes, I of course said yes.
It then asked for more information on this. I  thought  this is going to be a lot easier to explain over the phone . So  at 12.45am this morning    I phoned PN.
   I got an immediate reply from a real  person in England speaking plain English
Also by the time I had finished speaking to him , he had sent me 2 emails  1 to say that the problem was being dealt with and to check back  in 2hrs
The other to give me a free 0808 Dial -up number  that I could use whilst the problem was being sorted in case I was unable to gain access through Broadband
I obviously  didn't check back at 3am but did when I got up

The reply was, they could  find  no fault as such , but  BT  said that they felt that this was an acceptable  level of speed .
I was invited to comment on the service .
My  reply was , that although  I was happy  with  PN's support  service  I did not  accept BT's    comment  that 0.4 mb speed  is an acceptable level  when only hours before the speed was averaging 5mb.

PN  immediately   replied saying that Bt had not supplied any speed test info and  could I do 3 speed tests preferably spaced out  during today   and that they would be doing further
investigations.
Based on this,   I believe  that  Plusnet are offering a good service but BT are not.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It sounds as if connecting the NTL box you have then synced at a low speed and this has then set your BT assigned profile very low. If that is the case it will take up to 3 days for your speeds to rise again.
Was the NTL box plugged in to a filter or direct in to the phone socket?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MightyMouse
Grafter

The NTL  box was plugged  directly into the phone socket , then the filter plugged into that and then of course the phone plugged into the filter.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think that was your mistake! I believe the NTL box needs to be filtered.
There's nothing Plusnet can do - you will just have to wait for the speeds to return.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MightyMouse
Grafter

Thanks for your help .
For the sake of £6-7  and 8-9 days till I go on home phone  I will not bother with the  NTL box again.
As long the speed does return that's fine.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Well, my speed has now stayed stable for approx 5 days .
Since approx 9.30 am on the 2nd . I am a bit dissapionted that Bt have not now increased my speed, or do they not  work week-ends?Huh
James
Grafter

Hi there,
This should pick up relatively shortly.  I'm quite surprised to see that this hasn't updated yet as the last update was on NYD.
Hopefully it should pick up within the next 24 hours Smiley
prichardson
Grafter

Morning all.
It sounds like the nail has been hit on the head as to the source of the problem, you now appear to be out of pocket as a result of not using the NTL dialer box.
However, did you know....
You don't need to use the dialer box!!
This box is designed to intercept any numbers called and route them via NTL World if they meet a specific format.
This is just a method to automate it.
You can however continue to use your included minutes, by prefixing any number you dial with 1263.
If calling you support line for example, use 126301142965182
What is more, you can still use this service after you move to Home Phone with ourselves.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Thanks for that!!
I did actually   know that I could prefix it with a number, BUT
it's been so long since I used the number that I had forgotten what it was. Thanks for reminding me . 
MightyMouse
Grafter

I have just tried another BT speedtest but it timed out . so I will try again later
However, I've just tried again on Broadband.org and according to that , it has now gone back up to approx 4mb . 
If it stays at that or higher  I will be happy.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Have just done 2 more tests about 5 minutes ago
The first test was the plus net band width test which showed
4253.4 kbps
the second Bt's.  The results below
Excuse my ignorrence , but why is one showing 4253.4 kbps and the other 3009kbps less than 5 minutes apart .
Do they use a diferent system & if so , how can you tell which one is correct  ?Huh
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5536 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3009 kbps