cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling DNS on Technicolor TG582n

fosbie
Dabbler

Disabling DNS on Technicolor TG582n

I have the Technicolor router TG582n that Plusnet installed for me, but I also have a Netgear router that is on the same lan that I use to extend my wifi range.  All is currently working fine, but I wanted to use the Live Parental Controls that is available on the Netgear router, and that requires me to use that one as a DNS server instead of the Technicolor.  I know how to turn on DNS on the Netgear, but I can't see how to disable the DNS on the Technicolor.  Can anyone help?  Also, does this sound like a silly idea?
4 REPLIES 4
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Disabling DNS on Technicolor TG582n

Quote from: fosbie
Can anyone help?  Also, does this sound like a silly idea?

No, it sounds a challenge.
I believe the Negear can only do DNS lookup through it's DSL port not it's lan ports so it's unlikely to work.
You could test this however by changing the network setting in a PC so the DNS IP address points to the netgear (192.168.1.1 I assume).
I'll be surprised if it works but please let us know.
You could do Parental Control on the Technicolor by using openDNS.
There's plenty of options from simply using opendns family shield to using their full web filter.
Details for setting up the Technicolor router:
http://npr.me.uk/webfilter.html
fosbie
Dabbler

Thanks for the info, looks like you might be right.  The Netgear router thinks it isn't connected to the internet and hence won't allow me to even start installing the live parental controls.  Think this is going to be a bit of a non starter.
I already have the Technicolor setup to use OpenDNS, which isn't bad, but the LPC is really good.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Why not swap them over?
Use the Netgear to connect and the Technicolor to extend the lan.
fosbie
Dabbler

Wish I could but the Technicolor is the only thing that can connect to the fibre modem.