cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit Problems

baldrick
Grafter

Direct Debit Problems

I recently transferred from Metronet from Plusnet. This went OK except that I was incorrectly charged a £40 activation fee. This was the start of the saga!
On the 22nd August I was advised of the charge to my Direct Debit account.
On the 23rd August Plusnet agreed that it was an error and it would be cancelled.
On the 28th August the £40 was taken from my account.
On the 30th August I was told the money had been returned.
It is now the 6th September and I am still waiting!
If there is anyone from Plusnet reading this can they please help as I'm fast losing all confidence in the CSC team. The relevant tickets are Metronet 22574795 and Plusnet 22673134, the reason there are two tickets is because as soon as the transfer was made from Metronet to Plusnet the thread was broken.
This however does raise the wider issue of whether it is normal for Plusnet to continue with Direct Debit deductions 5 days after they acknowledge that the charge is an error.
Has any-one else had this experience or am I just unlucky?
19 REPLIES 19
James
Grafter

Re: Direct Debit Problems

Hi there,
There's nothing that anyone in the CSC can do to check I'm afraid.  As such I've passed your ticket through to the Accounts team and they'll be able to look into it for you.
baldrick
Grafter

Thanks James, I live in hope that you can rattle cages that are inaccessible to me.
baldrick
Grafter

James, if you are reading this, the answer to your email is no - I have just checked again.
I cannot reply through the secure channel as you have picked up my old Metronet username and my access to previous and new messages on this channel died with my Metronet Internet account (I still have an email address courtesy of Metronet) - I suspect this is part of the problem.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I've merely used your original ticket.  You should hopefully have an answer from Finance in the morning.
As silly as it sounds, it can take 2-3 weeks for DD refunds, because they have to be signed off by Finance and then the Finance director.
I'm sorry for all the delays you're seeing.
James
Grafter

Sorry!  Just realised what I've done!
I've passed your ticket through to Accounts, but I forgot to make it clear that it was an internal note!  The question was for them and not for you.
Sorry for the confusion!
itsme
Grafter

£40 have to signed off by the Finance Director!! Never heard anything so stupid, or is it that he have nothing else to do?
baldrick
Grafter

It does seem unbelivable, but even worse is the fact that the money was taken 5 days after Plusnet accepted that it was a mistake. In circumstances like this you might expect better service. Anyway if it takes 2-3 weeks, why was I told on the 30th August that the money had been returned? Something doesn't add up.
James
Grafter

That looks like it was a mistake.  Like I've said, we should hear back shortly as to what the current state of play currently is.
Spider
Grafter

A DD claimed in error can be refunded a lot quicker by your bank. The bank then sorts it out by the company. Anything over 4 days for a company to refund the money by the bacs system is just their internals systems / procedures.
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I had simular problems when i signed up, got sorted in the end.
The DD took aver 10 working days to be refunded so patience is required.
Ian
baldrick
Grafter

I am now informed that the refund was issued on the 30th August but it will take 14 days for this to reach my account. Presumably this is the 2-3 weeks required for the Finance team and Finance Director  to agonise over the repayment.
No-one has yet told me why the money was taken 5 days after Plusnet confirmed that the charge was a mistake.
It's all very disappointing!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I thought the whole idea with DD's was that where errors are made the Bank is responsible if you demand immediate recompense.
This is regardless of whose fault it is.
Be very pushy.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

waldron
Grafter

According to the Direct Debit Guarantee, the following applies:
If the originator or the bank/building society makes an error, the customer is guaranteed a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.
Note the word 'immediate'.
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: waldron
Note the word 'immediate'.

But only if done by the bank.