cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dire broadband

Andrewjdc
Hooked

Dire broadband

My broadband speed is absolutely shocking, so bad as to be unusable so I have to use my mobile broadband on my phone.

Of course, award winning customer service can't be emailed...instead I have to sit on the phone or webchat which isn't suitable when trying to look after a child.

Please can someone give me an email address to contact? Currently a terrible decision to use plusnet and I'm regretting it.
12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Dire broadband

Hi there,

Sorry that you're having problems with your speed.

Looking at your line estimates you should be seeing much faster than you currently are:

Estimates:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11.5 -- 10 to 13 Available -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 11.5 Up to 1 10 to 13 Available -- --

Line Test result:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 50.5 51.5
SNR Margin: 5.8 16.3
Errored Seconds: 0 10
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 2247 10351
Speed: 423 3155

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2848 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 2278
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 1054
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 477

However looking at the loop loss of your line that suggests the line is longer than the estimates seem to think.

Testing your line is showing: Problem Explanation: [NF03] The Copper Line test has failed. MFL :- (CA)

So that's suggesting a fault on the phone line itself, which will have a knock-on effect on your broadband.

When we test your phone line directly this is showing as a loop fault, these are often caused by internal setups/equipment.

Can you confirm how your router/phone are connected? Are they in the master socket without any extension leads in place?

Can you unplug everything from the phone line and let me know when you've done that? I can retest then and see if we get the same error.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Andrewjdc
Hooked

Hi Chris,

Just the router is connected to the master socket via an adsl splitter. There are no extensions.

Last night about an hour or two after my complaint it seemed to fix itself but now it's bad again.

Let me know if you need further information.

Thanks

Andrew
Andrewjdc
Hooked

Oh, I've also unplugged everything now and left it unplugged
Chris
Legend

That's no longer finding a fault now that you've unplugged everything, so it points towards something internal causing this.

What kind of faceplate do you have? Does it have separate sockets for phone/broadband or just one socket?

Does it look like this:

fttc_OpenReach_socket

Or just has the bottom socket?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Andrewjdc
Hooked

Hi Chris,

It's just got the bottom socket and a splitter. See attached...

As I said, worked fine last night.

Thanks

Andrew Collins
Chris
Legend

Would you be able to plug in to the test socket for me? If you remove the bottom half of that socket there's the engineer socket. Plug everything in and let me know, I'll retest the line and see if I can spot an improvement on the line stats. Also if you have one it may be worth testing a different filter.

If the problem continues at that point I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you just plug your phone in to the test socket without the splitter is the line clear? (Dial 17070 option 2 for a quiet line test - it should be silent with no crackles or background noise). If it is noisy testing with a different handset (preferably wired not DECT) would be good.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Andrewjdc
Hooked

Hi,

Plugged it all into test socket. Got to pop out now but please let me know how it goes. I don't hear a landline phone to test with unfortunately.

Thanks

Andrew Collins
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Our tests are still showing the speeds as low so I'd recommend raising a fault like Chris advised.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Andrewjdc
Hooked

Do I need to raise a fault manually or can one be a raised as a result of this thread?

Please advise

Thanks

Andrew Collins
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

You'll need to raise it here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Keeping a very basic phone is always a good idea for checking the line when you have broadband issues.

Could you not borrow one for half an hour?

If not they only cost a fiver :http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3924358

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)