cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different speed testers - very different results.

peter10
Grafter

Different speed testers - very different results.

Last night I had problems loading certain web pages and watching YouTube. I did a speed check using My Broadband Speed and Speedtest.net and my speed was ~ 4Mb (normally 11). I did a BT test and Think broadband test and they showed 11Mb. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting but no change. This morning the situation is still the same and I tried another disconnection and reconnection but again no difference. All tests done with ethernet connection and router plugged in to main socket.
No problems before engineers (according to service information) made changes yesterday afternoon.
Which speed test is giving the "true" reading?
If it is the lower figure is it worth raising a fault or should I wait & see if it returns to normal?
Thanks for any advice.
Peter
2 REPLIES 2
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Different speed testers - very different results.

This could be an issue with traffic shaping. The BT speed tester, at least, is immune from this and will still return near to full speed even if the web traffic is being throttled. If it persists it could be a Plusnet issue.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Different speed testers - very different results.

If you're also having issues using the service I definitely would advise raising a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team