Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different speed quotes

ayrshire2001
Grafter

Different speed quotes

Hi

SO at the moment I am on Plusnet and, after being moved to their new network, am happy with my speeds.  I currently get a consistent speed test result of around 17 Mbps.  However my current agreement is about to run out and they won't renew me with free Broadband again.

I called sky who will give me a years free broad band however they are quoting me speeds of between 6 and 12 Mbps.  Why are they quoting me such a low speed?  any ideas?

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 114

Re: Different speed quotes

Hello there,

If you check your downstream line rate estimate at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and if the target is below 17 Mbps like Sky are quoting you then it's likely that your line is just over performing (which is a good thing).

Something to bear in mind is that Sky sometimes use LLU equipment in exchanges, so if you were to move, your connection speed might change.

I hope this helps

I've joined the Plusnet Help Team as of May 2017. As such, I have a new forum account. Please direct any queries to @Gandalf. Thanks

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Support
ayrshire2001
Grafter

that site tells me downstream range is 15 to 18 Mbps.  I do know that my exchange has Sly listed as an LLU.  I used to have sky a few years ago and got close to 20 Mbps so knot sure why its now quoting so slow.

Also would I be able to use my Sky Hub 1 with Sky as their Sky Hub is [-Censored-].

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

ayrshire2001 wrote:

Also would I be able to use my Sky Hub 1 with Sky as their Sky Hub is [-Censored-].

If you meant to say your Plusnet Hub One, I think the answer is no.

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 114

As far as I am aware, you can only use a Sky router with Sky. (From personal experience when I was with Sky 10 years ago. Things may have changed...)

I've joined the Plusnet Help Team as of May 2017. As such, I have a new forum account. Please direct any queries to @Gandalf. Thanks

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Support