Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different speed quotes

ayrshire2001
Grafter

Different speed quotes

Hi

SO at the moment I am on Plusnet and, after being moved to their new network, am happy with my speeds.  I currently get a consistent speed test result of around 17 Mbps.  However my current agreement is about to run out and they won't renew me with free Broadband again.

I called sky who will give me a years free broad band however they are quoting me speeds of between 6 and 12 Mbps.  Why are they quoting me such a low speed?  any ideas?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Different speed quotes

Hello there,

If you check your downstream line rate estimate at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and if the target is below 17 Mbps like Sky are quoting you then it's likely that your line is just over performing (which is a good thing).

Something to bear in mind is that Sky sometimes use LLU equipment in exchanges, so if you were to move, your connection speed might change.

I hope this helps

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ayrshire2001
Grafter

that site tells me downstream range is 15 to 18 Mbps.  I do know that my exchange has Sly listed as an LLU.  I used to have sky a few years ago and got close to 20 Mbps so knot sure why its now quoting so slow.

Also would I be able to use my Sky Hub 1 with Sky as their Sky Hub is [-Censored-].

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@ayrshire2001 wrote:

Also would I be able to use my Sky Hub 1 with Sky as their Sky Hub is [-Censored-].

If you meant to say your Plusnet Hub One, I think the answer is no.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

As far as I am aware, you can only use a Sky router with Sky. (From personal experience when I was with Sky 10 years ago. Things may have changed...)

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button