Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different ISP speedtest, Sky broadband and BTWiFi

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Different ISP speedtest, Sky broadband and BTWiFi

I am currently staying with a friend of mine who has Sky broadband, and connection is really slow.  I found the neighbour had BT so had BTWIFI.  The BT connection was much faster.
Here is the Sky speediest

and the BTWiFi test

I showed these results to my friend and he is going to move ISP as he thought that was normal speed, obviously it isn't.
He has been with Sky for 3 years so he would be out of the contract.  moving to BT I suspect.
Northeastener
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
7 REPLIES 7
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Different ISP speedtest, Sky broadband and BTWiFi

I notice the server has a distance of 250 miles to london, on the sky speed test... but only 50 miles on the BT speed test... ( hence the difference in Ping times I suspect)...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given the upstream speed from the BT wifi the user is on fibre whereas Sky isn't
You have just given really bad advice
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Agree with Oldjim, you don't appear to be comparing like with like.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I have looked at ex Sky broadband customer reviews and they say its a totally unacceptable service.
The BTWiFi servers are based in london so chooses a london exchange whereas Sky chooses a exchange up in north where Sky server is located.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are talking rubbish
The speed test from Sky ADSL is or could be perfectly acceptable for the distance of the user from the exchange.
The fact that the ping is higher is probably at least partly because the line is interleaved which is an effect of line length and quality.
Now whether Sky would agree to change it to fast path I have no idea but you have no guarantee that moving to BT ADSL would give a better ping
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: NorthEasterner
I have looked at ex Sky broadband customer reviews and they say its a totally unacceptable service.

You look at any ISP and there will be people stating they have an unacceptable service.
Unless you get the stats to be able to see if it's acceptable or not, you're making uninformed and possibly bad decisions on someones behalf
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

His gaming is really slow due to ping.
I've been with Sky BB and it is totally rubbish! Hence thats why I moved to PN at the time.
Different ISP's have mixed reviews etc...
From my POV Sky is a great company for TV but not for BB.