Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I miss an announcement about RIN trial finishing

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Did I miss an announcement about RIN trial finishing

I just clicked on the Usergroup Home Page - normally i go straight to the forum - and I found this
Has the announcement been made as this was dated 12th September
Plusnet announce completion of the RIN trial
PUG understands that PlusNet will soon formally announce completion of the BT Retail Internet Network (RIN) trial which started in February 2007.  A number of PUG members were deeply involved in the trialling and reporting for this project.
"Since the RIN Trial launched we've let it run it's course and we've learnt a lot about the platform and the differences in the way it gets used by customers. We’ve been monitoring the RIN trial closely over the last couple of months in terms of customer problem reports (via tickets) and feedback in the forums. Generally we’ve found that for most of the time our customers have been happy with RIN performance. However there has been a number of occurrences where PAYG RIN customers have experienced speed issues, particularly during peak times and especially on peer to peer and Usenet protocol.
For us, the original objectives of the trial were to:
- See how the alternate platform performs against our own: In general there has seemed to be little difference between the two.
- Provide temporary alleviation for session capacity issues on our own platform: this is no longer an issue for us since we reconfigured our own platform capacity arrangements.
- Analyse the costs of using this platform compared to our own: Our finding is that costs overall remained broadly the same for PAYG users.
In terms of the trial objectives, we have now successfully met the criteria, and as a result we’re planning on bringing the trial to a close. There will be no further additions to the RIN and we’ll continue to support the existing customers on RIN for the time being. There are no immediate plans to migrate the customers back to our own platform but should the situation change we’ll get back to you."
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Did I miss an announcement about RIN trial finishing

Hmm...
I've found that my VPN connection to the office is significantly better on RIN than it ever was on the PN gateways. I think I'd better do another comparison in case they stop RIN altogether. If it is worse and RIN is ended I'd have to do a hasty migration to BT  Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi,
I've you read the announcement on there again, it says:
"There are no immediate plans to migrate the customers back to our own platform but should the situation change we’ll get back to you."
We're merely not accepting new applications to the RIN platform which afaik, we haven't been doing anyway.  It's merely adavnce notice of our communication that the trial is ending.
LiamM
Grafter

The piece was communicated to PUG, and will be to all customers if there are any plans to move people back - which there aren't right now.
It just means that no further customers will be allowed onto the trial.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So is the first paragraph not correct
PUG understands that PlusNet will soon formally announce completion of the BT Retail Internet Network (RIN) trial which started in February 2007.  A number of PUG members were deeply involved in the trialling and reporting for this project.
James
Grafter

The trial is technically complete, with no further orders being placed, however there are no plans to end the service for those partcipating in the trial.
nstone
Dabbler

I was on the RIN trial, which I see has finished.  I'm on PAYG, but given the 2GB limit thinking of switching to Option 2.  I don't think the restrictions will be a problem.  However, my experience of the trial has been very positive- my connection regularly dropped on the PN network, but since going onto the trial it has been extremely reliable.  If I switch to Option 2 will I be taken off the RIN, and possibly see a lower reliability?Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you switch to option 2 you'll definitely be taken off RIN.
You have the choice of which to connect to while on PAYG and can change between plusdsl and plusdsl2 whenever you like. So why not try going back to the non-RIN connection to see if you still get the drop-outs?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lank111
Grafter

I signed up for RIN but failed to get it to log on, However i would like to try again and my username is still not working....Any support for RIN or is this all over now
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Initially RIN was only available on Broadband PAYG, which you've never been on.  It's also not available on Nroadband Your Way.
However, the trial has since been removed, which must have happened the best part of 18 months ago, so I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to add it for you now.
techguy
Grafter

What was this trial all about anyway.
James
Grafter

The ability to use BTs Retail Internet Network instead of our centrals.
I believe it lasted a few months from Jan/Feb 2007.