cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I get Value change onto 21cn??

fishrow
Grafter

Did I get Value change onto 21cn??

I had an email back in June saying that within the next 5 weeks or so I could expect a change onto 21cn with it being avaiable. I hadn't asked or raised a ticket about this, nor subsequently when there became available the free upgrade to 20meg.
I don't know if this has gone ahead _specifically_ for the 21cn part as there is a slight change to my sync recently. That is, the last fortnight of September so well past the 5 weeks.
I used to have seperate modem and router and with previous ISPs the modem would always sync at 7616. I got hold of a combo router for some speedtesting comparisons back then and noticed it synced at 8128, so there was some quirk with the modem that stopped it going to the actual line speed - NB I'm less than 3km from exchange.
Anyway, soon after joining here a year ago I changed over to a new combo router and it synced at 8128 and stayed there. With most sites I got large files from,  I've usually seen d/load speeds approach the 10% theoretical limit - 700-800k - and generally have decent access.
Recently however, I've noticed that the sync is 7616 and I'd say that general access is more sluggish. Large files are reluctant to exceed or even approach 700k down speed.
More recently this is complicated by there being a a line outage for a few days which BT restored yesterday. The router sync is still 7616 but because of the disruption I believe my profile is about 3500.
Recent               Earlier in year
DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
router  sync 7616               8128
noise margin upstream: 26 db 27
attenuation upstream: 13 db 11
output power upstream: 9 db 12
noise margin downstream: 13 db 10
attenuation downstream: 24 db 24
output power downstream: 19 db 19

3 questions:
How would I know if the change to 21cn had taken place in terms of what the router status would show, or is this only something Support could tell me?
Is this a likely problem if the 21cn has happened (not the outage/profile thing) and could be worse if I requested the free upgrade to 20meg?
Will this 3500 profile settle back to maximum possible automatically or will that require a ticket?
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Did I get Value change onto 21cn??

what router have you got, from report on another thread, you should not be using GDMT
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi fishrow,
Just to answer your questions:
How would I know if the change to 21cn had taken place in terms of what the router status would show, or is this only something Support could tell me?

We would tell you, when we decided to give up to 20mb to value customers we started processing bulk upgrades, you haven't been upgraded yet but we may as well get this out of the way now so I'm placing an order that should complete on Monday morning, just reboot your router after 9AM.
Is this a likely problem if the 21cn has happened (not the outage/profile thing) and could be worse if I requested the free upgrade to 20meg?

As mentioned I'm upgrading you now. With regards to speeds being worse we only see that in certain conditions with customers that have a sync speed below 4mb so you should see improvement.
Will this 3500 profile settle back to maximum possible automatically or will that require a ticket?

Don't worry I've change the profile whilst I was looking at your account.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd guess the drop in sync speed you observed is because interleaving has been turned on on your line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fishrow
Grafter

Adam,
thanks for swift replies. I don't know if I should make a cautious thanks for the 20meg you've initiated, having seen a few posts on the "fix/broke" scenario.  Smiley

Quote from: jelv
I'd guess the drop in sync speed you observed is because interleaving has been turned on on your line.

Should I invoke a  Sad  here and hope this doesn't mean things going downhill from now?
prichardson
Grafter

Just to add, that is your sync speed is 7616, this will typically mean your have interleaving applied (error correction). This is the highest signal speed the line will operate at when enabled.
fishrow
Grafter

Quote from: P
Just to add, that is your sync speed is 7616, this will typically mean your have interleaving applied (error correction). This is the highest signal speed the line will operate at when enabled.

Hmmm, so do I take it that previously when seeing the sync at 8128, this meant _no_ interleaving then and it has somehow been invoked perhaps as a precursor to the 21cn 'thing' ?
Probably thanks to Adam, I noticed last night that the profile was now 7131. I don't know if any more "settling" is needed but before and after midnight and again this morning any files I began to download from known sites would only max out at 400k/s - these would have shown between 700-800k a month ago.
fishrow
Grafter

update mon 4-Oct
I see that  I have been upgraded
DSL Mode: ADSL2+ Mode
DSL Up 17518 kbps / 445 kbps
noise margin upstream: 25 db
attenuation upstream: 12 db
output power upstream: 9 db
noise margin downstream: 6 db
attenuation downstream: 25 db
output power downstream: 23 db
Doing my known site downloads showed them maxing at 720k/s
I only logged into PN before 11am and I hadn't rebooted the router or switched it off (a graceful de-sync I understand instead of plug pull).
Just would like to know if profile and speeds still need a few days to settle to optimum, thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry for the delayed response,

I'm glad to see the upgrade went through as expected. Please let me know if you experience any further issues.;
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team