Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I do a boo boo?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Did I do a boo boo?

Hi PN
I've been working on my email server again recently. As it's multithreaded, I needed to be sure it was handling objects properly and freeing them up etc when it should. Unfortunately I did something stupid and uncommented a couple of lines of code in a moment of madness in an onDisconnect event which cleared a stringlist and then free'd it.
Anyway many EAccessViolations later and I decided to re-write bits, test bits etc. Eventually I got to the bottom of it by changing the code but needed to send a lot of emails to it to test it (by this I mean test that the threads are updating the GUI without causing problems etc). Now due to your unique email server setup I prefer to send emails through you which then bounce back and recycle the same connection (also opening other connections if needed). I think your email server rocks in this respect as my own website will open and close a connection per email which is pointless. Your server allows me to test my live monitor counters etc are working correctly.
Anyway today I think I might of overdone it. I sent a LOT of test emails through your system (something like 1000 I think) in just a couple of minutes. Now they are only text and contain one line saying "This is a test email" but a few minutes later I can send nothing - nor through my own website! Yikes - no more testing!
To add insult to injury I realised that I'd caused it all by uncommenting those two lines in my ondisconnect event as the stringlist was still being used in a notify thread  Crazy
Am I still able to use your email server for testing or am I now blocked? - Only reason I ask is that my test email sending program can't connect to my website either via port 25 and I'm wondering if you blocked me?
Sorry for any hassle this may have caused..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES 7
7up
Community Veteran

Re: Did I do a boo boo?

Hmm, well my website is taking mail again and sending back to my test server but the PN server is refusing to accept my login so I'll assume I've been blocked for a while.
Apologies for the hassle, I needed to give my  server a real hammering to see if it could take it without screwing up again
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sprite,
It'll have just been the automated tarpitting and should only have been in effect for an hour, we've certainly not applied any blocks manually to the account as there's no ticket on your account Smiley
Hope everything's back to working normally for you?
7up
Community Veteran

Hi
Well I managed to send a test mail a few minutes ago so it's working again now.
So what happens now? - Am I ok to continue using your email server in this way? Are there any times of day that you'd prefer me to stick to when it's less busy? Is there a limit per hour / minute?
Due to a few niggles in the thread synchronisation with the GUI I need to be able to send a large amount at a time while having several connections open at the same time. Your email server is great for this as it recycles connections / keeps them open allowing me to do better testing than most bog standard SMTP servers.
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You should be fine to, yes - though if you could try and keep the number of emails in an hour down a bit you should avoid getting locked out again. Anything around 500 or so (there's some margin there as far as I'm aware) should be alright.
To answer your questions, nothing else will happen now, yes you can carry on using the server this way though please bear in mind the above, don't think we have any particularly busy time periods to bear in mind so no worries there and yes but I don't think it's hard set (and I'm not aware what the actual limit is either I'm afraid).
Hope that helps Smiley
7up
Community Veteran

Ok thanks!
I think I'm making progress with the synchronisation bugs now (Indy sockets aren't exactly straight forward in this respect) so hopefully I'll be able to slow down the email testing for a bit. Unfortunately for me though I have the client admin program to work on next which will see a TCPServer also running in the same .exe as the smtp server. More thread hell  Crazy
Anyway thanks for your help Matt!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Tarpitting is mentioned in the email FAQ (Tarpit Help paragraph). Not sure if what you are doing can be made to work better alongside those controls.
Looking at the email performance graphs (here) for inbound sessions it looks like "peak time" stretches from 10am to 10pm.
David
7up
Community Veteran

Cheers for that!