cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial Up was quicker!

richardkendell
Hooked

Dial Up was quicker!

My broadband has been very slow and erratic for the past few days. I have followed the suggestions about the filters, reset the router and last night achieved a very reasonable broad band speed. Today it is poor again. It will not run a Youtube video and when I ran an Ookla speed test the results were :

Ping 45ms

Download 0.07 Mbps

Upload 0.25 Mbps

Something is clearly amiss, any ideas how to speed things up?

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Dial Up was quicker!

Hi Richard,

A warm welcome to the forums.  Its best to run through all of the standard shelf help checks to see if they identify anything amiss which you can sort out yourself and / or other users can offer advice on.  Take a look at the speed issues thread below.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any cause.

Are you able to try a wired connection to see if that has the same issue?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
richardkendell
Hooked

Thanks I have dialed 17070 and all is silent.

I have removed my wifi dongle and connected the router and computer by a Cat cable.

From the Kitz I am 1.12km direct to the exchange or 1.7km by road

From the Kitz BT checker ADSL  Downstream line is up to 5 and Downstream range 3.5 to 7.5

The 2704n stats are in the attached file.

For the Kitz list I cannot see a router the same as mine (a small white upright device with 2 red legs that swivel out)

The BT speed test

Download speed 0.4Mbps

Upload 0.09 Mbps

Ping 196

My PN profile says Current Linespeed 9.1Mb

If you need any further details please let me know.

If you have any idea what he issue is from the details I have provided any guidance would be appreciated.

richardkendell
Hooked

Thanks as you will see above I have given Townman some information- it will probably mean more to you than it does to me!

Do you have any suggestions for next steps?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@richardkendell,

Thank you for supplying most of the requested information - sight of the FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS BTw speed test would have been useful - it report's BTw's view of your line profile.  From what you have provided...

• The reported attenuation (43dB) suggests a line length of 3.1km giving an anticipated SYNCH speed of 7.9mbps at a SNRM of 6dB
  • That line length is markedly different from that reported by the exchange data
  • The synch speed you are seeing (at 3dB SNRM) is significantly higher than either the attenuation predictions and the BTw estimates
  • The PN profile figure (9.1mbps) suggests a previous synch speed of over 10mbps which I suspect is more than marginal for this line
  • Without the router uptime to sit along side the error stats, it is difficult to know if they are OK or bad - I suspect bad!

@MatthewWheeler

What's your take on the above?

Might a DS SNRM of 6dB deliver better DATA through put, by reducing transmission error rates?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

richardkendell
Hooked

Here are the Further Diagnostics test results you mentioned

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Richard,

Thank you - that ought to be enough info for the PN guys to look over.  The error on the test is noteworthy.  Hopefully one of the staffers will pick this up tomorrow.

richardkendell
Hooked

Based on the information I have provided is there anything I need to do to improve speeds or are Plusnet working on a solution?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Richard,

I do not know - I'm a customer like yourself.  I've done all of the triage I can on the problem.  This is not the only issue running at the moment where sync speeds are good but data throughput is poor.

richardkendell
Hooked

Townman

Thanks for your help. I hoped that someone from Plusnet would pick up on my query and respond. I am away from home at present and if the speeds are not better on my return I will get onto the helpdesk.

Richard