cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial Up Connection problems

RangerDave

Dial Up Connection problems

Hi, just found my old PC (running Windows XP Home version!) and recall using a dial-up internet connection with it about 8 years ago ... but can't get it to work now.  I've plugged the phone line from the back of the PC in to a "BT phone socket" on the landing, but no joy. How do I set up a new account and password to make it work? I've got a PlusNet router that works fine with my Asus tablet computer.  On the desktop there's Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and a shortcut to "Tiscali Connect" (?). All help much appreciated. Stay safe!

RangerDave

2 REPLIES 2
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Dial Up Connection problems

I believe that the Dial-Up service was discontinued about 8 years (or more?) ago due to falling demand for low speed connectivity. 

Seems I was a bit pessimistic about when it closed.  It was January 2015! https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/Important-information-from-PlusNet-on-dial-up-servi... 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Dial Up Connection problems

@RangerDave To use a desktop PC with the PN modem/router, you will have to connect the two together by ethernet cable.

The 'phone line' will need to be disconnected - it would never work anyway.

Having connected as I have said above,the desktop should work with no further action, but bearing in mind it is running an old, unsupported OS, I would caution against using it for anything important that requires passwords &c to be sent over the web.

John