Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices not connecting to internet

jamilakram
Hooked

Devices not connecting to internet

Hi

I know there are other threads linked to this, but all the techy stuff just baffles me.

Recently, devices at home lose Internet connection, although they still connect to my hub one router. This is despite there being no change in terms of usage, where the router is and how we connect.

My LG TV and Amazon firestick were the first to suffer, but it would get fixed by re connecting using the WPS button (wouldn't work when I just entered the password).

Now a Samsung tablet and an Apple iPhone lose Internet connection, but remain connected to the router with strong signal.

Through looking at threads, I figured I need to go into the hub manager. I tried a refresh after reading this:

"Channel selection The channel (frequency) that your Hub broadcasts on. Your Hub will find and use the best available channel. If you're having problems you can make it check again by pressing Refresh at the bottom of the page."

It didn't help. It just dropped internet connectivity on my firestick and LG tv, so I had to go through the whole WPS button thing to get them on.

Iphone and Samsung tablet still don't connect. What I have noticed from hub manager though, is that those two devices are the only ones under 5 GHz wireless.

Can somebody help me understand how to fix this please? Preferably in laymans terms with simple step by step instructions, as I have got really confused when looking at other threads.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
jamilakram
Hooked

Re: Devices not connecting to internet

So I've managed to get the Samsung tablet and iphone connected. I don't know how long for though, and don't know whether I will get disconnected again on firestick and lg tv.

Anyway, what I did was split the SSID so there was a separate one for 5GHz. Connected the iphone and samsung to this SSID. Made no difference at first. But then I manually changed channel for that connection to 36. Hopefully it stays working. I've got a headache from figuring that out. Shouldn't the router automatically have chosen the best channel itself?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Devices not connecting to internet

Hi there, 

Well done for sorting that out, you've figured it out yourself and done exactly what we'd advise to be honest!

The automatic channel selection isn't the best on any router out there unfortunately, however if you do have the same issue again the best thing to do is to install an app on your tablet called "WiFi Analyzer" that will show you a simple list of all the WiFi channels with a star rating next to each one to show you the best one to choose. 

We also have a help guide available here if you need it: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml/

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team