cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices disconnecting from internet

georgiegrace

Devices disconnecting from internet

Our devices will not stay connected to the wifi. This is a new problem - it started happening a few days ago, and now every time I pick up my phone it's on 4G and not on the wifi. It will reconnect fine, but two minutes later it's disconnected.

What's changed, and how can I fix it please?

edit: the devices are iphones / ipad / laptop. My desktop doesn't seem to be affected although it is also on the wifi.

4 REPLIES 4
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Devices disconnecting from internet

Hi @georgiegrace 

Sorry to hear this is happening. 

Can you confirm the firmware version your router is running? You can view this by logging into the router at 192.168.1.254 and looking at the bottom of the landing page. 

You may wish to try forgetting the wireless network on the devices which are loosing connection, changing your wireless password in the router (same ip address as above) then reconnecting your devices on the new password and seeing if this carries on. 

Please let us know how this goes.

Thanks, 

MoR

georgiegrace

It says: Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 14/03/19

Forgetting the network and changing the password has improved the phone but not the laptop. Is there anything else I can try?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you try the steps Here to split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies apart as this can generally improve the quality of your wireless connection as well as Here to change the wireless channels? Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Gandalf wrote: snipped

Can you try the steps Here to split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies apart as this can generally improve the quality of your wireless connection

Not wishing to step on toes here, but that link isn't going to work on software 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

(I'm back on one of my hub ones and from my old and very recent experiences, there's more to this, but can't really go into great detail atm)

But there is a possible workaround, well two actually, the first one is to try the following, it might bring good results....?

Firstly, note the wifi SSID and wifi passkey on my example on my 2.4GHz wifi:

2.4GHz.PNG

Making changes means you must click apply too Wink

But note the different wifi SSID and the different wifi passkey on my example for the 5GHz wifi:

5GHz.PNG

I'm currently observing devices that are remembering the routers default 2.4GHz SSID even though they've never connected to it, they are only using the 5GHz. This seems to be related to having the same wifi passkey for two different SSID's. Leaving them merged appears to hide the issue imho.

So, I offer the above as a possible solution to this, or the second workaround would be to turn off the 5GHz, so devices only see one SSID.