Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device names on TG582n router (Fibre)

mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Device names on TG582n router (Fibre)

Despite some of the comments I see here, I'm reasonably happy with the TG582n, even though some things aren't quite what I'm used to (such as no obvious way to manually set up a MAC filter list).  But the one thing that's driving me nuts is the way some devices just won't let you change the device name while others will Huh - I haven't (so far) been able to identify any pattern to this.  For example, one of my laptop's is auto-named as "Unknown-mac address" - If I edit the name to match the Windows name for the PC, it initially looks as if the edit is accepted, but when the screen refreshes, the name is unchanged, however the breadcrumb trail above shows the new name, at least until I leave that page.
Anyone have any insight on this?
6 REPLIES 6
quelquod
Pro

Re: Device names on TG582n router (Fibre)

I've not been able to replicate this - all of my device names seem to be editable OK. Is there any pattern? Are the devices you are having difficulty with 'active' or 'inactive'?
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

I'm not at home right now so I can't do any checking.  In most cases that I can remember, the devices that I've renamed successfully would have been active at the time.  Working from memory, my son's Xbox renamed OK when I initially set it up, and it would have been active at the time.  A couple of nights ago I tried to rename it and failed; it's possible that it was inactive at the time, but I can't be sure.
My laptop is maybe an odd case.  I used the laptop to initially set up the router using a wired connection.  That automatically named the device using the Windows name.  Once most things were running how I wanted, I doscinnected the cable and went wireless with the laptop.  Obviously, that uses a different MAC so it was seen as a different device, and at that point it got the "Unknown-" label (the Windows name was still associated with the wired connection, so I could understand that).  So, I renamed the old wired device by adding a "-Eth" to the name and then tried renaming the wireless device to the Windows name. No go.  I thought maybe the old name for the wired connection was still cached somewhere so I deleted the entry for the wired connection altogether (I'm unlikely to need that again since my "main" PC is a desktop that is wired in anyway and the point of the laptop is to be unfettered).  That made no difference.  But I was trying to rename the device that I was logged into the router from - that might be a no-no.
I got a copy of the CLI manual (864pages!) for a similar but older firmware version and I might try to use the Update command to change the device names via telnet instead of the web GUI.
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

OK, I eventually found time to play around with this from my main desktop PC...
The laptop I mentioned above could not be renamed when inactive.
My IP camera could not be renamed when active.
My Buffalo Wireless/G Gaming Bridge could not be renamed when inactive.
All of these were showing "Unknown-mac_address" names
So active/inactive doesn't seem to be a factor here.  However, I logged in to the Telnet interface and used the CLI hostmgr update command to apply the desired names - that seems to have done the trick and the names are now displayed OK in the web GUI.  So, no nearer to knowing why it happens but at least I know how to get round it Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for your feedback and for trying that out, I'll make sure I bring this to the attention of our hardware guys.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

I wasn't on top of my game last night and forgot to take a note of what hostmgr list was showing the names as before using the update command.  I've got a sneaking suspicion that "Name", "User Friendly Name" and "DNS Name" might have been at odds with one another.
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

Now I'm even more confused...
Today I did a factory reset of the router and let it run through the auto setup.  Then I started off from my main (wired) PC to change the SSID and wireless key (to the settings I'd previously setup on my wireless devices).  I then went round each of the devices in turn switching them on and letting the router "capture" the MAC addresses and allocate IPs. As each one appeared, I'd rename it (if necessary) set the device type, and tick the "always use same IP" box.  This is pretty much what I did last time except I didn't use my laptop as the first device.  This time round I had no problems changing the names on any items, although I did so while each item was active during the first time it connected to the router, if that makes any difference.