Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Management

seamus1967

Device Management

Hi,
Firstly, I'm not technically minded.
Secondly, I'm a parent to a 12yr old who has become very rebellious and  a little devious.
I've found out she's been on the internet until 4am on quite a few occasions.
How can I identify her laptop & Kindle, and cut off her wireless via my router when its her bedtime and allow it again in the morning?
Thanks in advance,
Seamus
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Device Management

What I did was I bought a cheap wireless router of eBay, and made a new network just for the children and visitors to use.
Plugged the new router's WAN port into a LAN socket of the existing broadband router.
Configured the new router's WiFi to be on a different channel and different SSID from the existing WiFi.
Set the router's time schedule to only allow wireless access from 07:00 to 20:00.
Set the router's DNS to ONLY use OpenDNS - so the children have their connection filtered for appropriate content.
Additionally I set the router's keyword filtering to block specific websites that I don't want them to access.
Set the router's DHCP to a different range than the existing network, making their connections easier to identify,
and to make it easier to prevent their equipment accessing mine - in case their kit got a virus etc.
Set the email reporting to send me a message whenever their connection is being accessed when it shouldn't be.
My children's equipment is ONLY allowed to connect to the new WiFi access point.
Changed my existing WiFi password to something different, to ensure the children don't bypass the new router by picking up the previous connection.
Changed the username and password of their router to something that they will never guess.
It work great !
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

i believe the TG582n supplied plusnet router can do all this without the need for such an extended network layout.
you can set time limits per device i believe, thus solve the problem with a few mouse clicks.
jim:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

From this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=116992.msg1012698
The plusnet supplied TG582n can do that but you need to use telnet commands:
http://npr.me.uk/accesscontrol.html
I believe the newer firmware 10.2.5.2 has the TOD feature in the GUI but that's something I've not checked out.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.