cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Development Phase 2 has full fibre, we have standard fibre

candell
Grafter

Development Phase 2 has full fibre, we have standard fibre

We live on a small new house development, when our houses were built 8 years ago the best we had available was fibre, we are currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra which gives 60/20 ish.

Phase 2 is now underway, it is essentially more houses at the end of our road. The same road, same road name, same postcode, but new houses further down than ours.

I was talking to one of the first people to move in and they have full fibre, they get 900/180.

Looking on a full fibre checker, the original houses only get up to 60mb, the new houses on the street can get 1000mb.

Am I looking at this too simplistically, we are all on the same road so I'd assume we all share the same infrastructure. Openreach wouldn't have somehow put full fibre (again, I have no ideas how this works) just to the new houses would they?

Openreach were on our road many times over the last few months preparing for the new houses.

What are people's thoughts? Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Development Phase 2 has full fibre, we have standard fibre

@candell Are you overhead or underground fed? Are you on a Fibre Priority exchange?

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@candell 

I susoect that you are looking at it, as you suggest, too simplisycally. The future is fibre. There is no sense or logic in installing copper to new developments of several houses.

Have you checked whether there are plans to upgrade your area to full fibre?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@candell 

What does the Checker and OpenReach say for your property.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

https://www.openreach.com/

FTTP shows as WBC FTTP. Does it by any chance show FTTP on Demand?

Brian

Edit : Also meant to say OR only ramped up their FTTP install program in late 2017. Any new houses now will only get FTTP due to the Stop / Sell on copper products ie no new copper.

candell
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.

We moved in May 2015, only recently did they begin phase 2 and they have started to move in.

If I add our postcode to the checker, it shows the original house numbers and the new homes due in the next year or so. Selecting one of the original numbers, it says we can get 60MB. If I add one of the new homes it shows they can get 1000MB.

Adding my landline number to the btwholesale link provided by bmc, it lists FTTP on Demand but also further down says FTTP is not available. I attached my results.

Thanks again

jab1
Legend

Can't remember if I've asked this before - is your connection overhead or underground? I'm suspecting underground. The reason could be that FTTP will become the standard, so it makes sense to only supply FTTP to new builds, older ones, unfortunately will have to wait until OR install the required cables.

John
candell
Grafter

We are underground.

If we can't get it, we can't get it, but what's confusing is that when setting up the new houses, OR was in the same spot at the start of our street as when our houses were built. I assumed they'd piggy back off our infrastructure but was surprised when the newbie said he was on superfast. If I buy one of the new houses further down my road, I can get superfast fibre, seems silly that we can't get it.

I contacted OR directly but have had no response. There are several of us who would love the additional speed with working from home.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

If I recall there was a threshold of 30 or above for full fibre infrastructure for developments, this at some point was reduced to 20.

I live in a 2019 development with 28 houses so we missed out.

candell
Grafter

That's disappointing, looks like we will be staying with our 60

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You could look at why you are only getting 60, not the 80 on the DSL checker. Are you using an extension lead, or do you have multiple extensions in the house.

Or do you have a proper Openreach filtered master socket?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

That's disappointing, looks like we will be staying with our 60

This does not mean we won't get Full Fibre it just means we have to wait our turn for Full Fibre to come to our street.

candell
Grafter

60/20 is the fastest package I can get with plus net

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@candell 

Couple of things. The PN package is 80/20 (or in the old days 40/10). Given the Checker states a high of 80 and a low of 67 you are getting less than the line is capable of. I would go through the broadband Troubling shooting shown on the Help page.

FTTP on Demand is an expensive way of getting FTTP. It is only really suitable for businesses and those with deep pockets. I asked about it because if you're feeling in the mood to play silly beggars you could ask for a quote just to see how much they would charge you. Of course you would have no intention of accepting said quote.

Brian

candell
Grafter

Hmm I'll give the troubleshooting a go, thanks. The last time I looked on the router a few weeks ago the speeds were exactly 60/20 so I thought that's all I could get max. Checking today gives 66/19, still not the 80 specified.

In real world terms, would I see much improvement with an additional 14mbps?

jab1
Legend

Which router are you using?

John