cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine my current IP address - remotely

SquidgyB

Determine my current IP address - remotely

As the title suggests, I would like to determine my current home network IP address remotely (I might point out that this isn't urgent or life threatening, but rather something I'd like to work in the next day or so, but not really an issue if it doesn't).
Some background; I am currently in France. Before I left I set up remote desktop access to my PC, without realising that after changing my ISP over the christmas period that I neglected to ensure that the connection had a static IP, like my old connection did. I tested RDP, worked fine from home using my phone as an externally routed connection on a different device - of course, on reaching France my home network IP address had changed and I can no longer connect.
I logged onto the members section and paid the £5 to get a static IP - of course I have to restart my router for this to take effect, but being in France that's not an option. I hoped that the same mechanism that re-leased my dynamic IP in the 24 hours between the my testing and getting to France would re-lease my IP to the static one, but this doesn't appear to have happened.
I've raised a ticket with support but haven't had a reply in over 26 hours, so I thought I'd throw my question to the crowd so to speak.
Is there any way to reset my connection remotely, or to determine the current IP address being used, by logging onto the plusnet members section? I'd be happy to either have the connection reset so that the static IP becomes the currently used IP address, or just to be given the IP address of the current connection (either way I'd be able to RDP in, and from there access the router and force a reboot and so set the static IP, and also set the router to have a remote control by http (something I negletced to set up while i was at home) allowing much more dynamic control over the router/IP settings).
When I log onto the "connection details" section of the plusnet members section, the IP address section states "server assigned" rather than stating the actual IP. I know what the static IP address will be, but I have no way of determining the current IP address.
Any help would be gratefully accepted - and I'm aware of the many different solutions I could have enabled in hindsight - DynDNS, having a static IP from the start etc - they're just not something I can enable from this end. All I really need is the current IP address of my network, or to reset the connection remotely to force the static IP to come into play...
8 REPLIES 8
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Determine my current IP address - remotely

The Digital Care Team guys should be able to remotely reset your PPP Session using the "Stale Session Fix" option. You won't need to reconfigure your router for a static IP address - it should just get your static IP address next time the PPP Session starts.
SquidgyB

Yep, that's what I was hoping for. Getting access to the router would just be an option if they weren't able to do that - in which case I could reset the router manually, but either way I need the IP address of the network, be it the dynamically set one or the static one after resetting (in which case no router changes would be required). I assume the Digital Care Team are the ones who would reply to the ticket I already raised? If not, I may make a phone call tomorrow.
Like I said though, no real immediate requirement, it's just so I can piddle about with my PC while I'm away, maybe play some dwarf fortress on a decent CPU Tongue
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The Digital Care Team are the guys who monitor this forum and respond to customers here.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

you should be able to pick your static ip address up from the portal and maybe some kind soul will force the PPP session to drop so it gets picked up..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just replied to your Support Ticket and I've sent you a PM too with a few details on which should sort that out for you.
SquidgyB

That's perfect, thanks!
All up and running now, cheers.
Fishydan

I am in this exact position. I have signed up for the static IP address but now need to reset the connection remotely.

How did you achieve this?

Thanks
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We can force a disconnection on the line from here if you like?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.