Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deterioration in speed and stability since 31 Dec - Watton at Stone SG14

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Deterioration in speed and stability since 31 Dec - Watton at Stone SG14

@Prologica 

You can’t just plug it in, you have to pair it. Read the manual to find out how.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If the powerline adapters are compatible, you can have a network of four units, rather than two networks of two units.  Thereby you will only need one adapter connected to the BT HH6.

If they will not combine, you could connect the PN H0 to one of each and use that as a bridge between the two networks.  This might be helpful for reaching the garage or other part of the property, especially it they are distinct ring mains.

Phone line -> BTHH6 -> PA1a --- PA1b -> PNH0 -> PA2a --- PA2b -> Other router configured as WAP

BTHH6 using both channels 1 & 11 - can you expand on that please?  Are you running a guest SSID as well?

I believe it would be better if you did not have two WAPs with the same SSID on the same channel. See Multiple APs should use different channels but the same SSID? | Ubiquiti Community

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Prologica
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks @Baldrick1 @Townman 

regarding the channels, the HH6 has the bands split on channels 1 and 11, so I set up the 2704n WAP on channel  36.

i haven’t looked at whether the adaptors can be combined yet in a trio. The two pairs are coexisting happily it seems but I’ll need to check if an older “Homeplug”  (200mpbs max) will talk to the newer (400mps max) TP Link Powerline adaptors.

Re the bridge idea if I understand that correctly another issue will be having three powerpoints in the same vicinity, one for the power to the 2704n, and one each for the adaptors, unless I run Ethernet along a skirting board but it will be in a conspicuous area I expect as that’s where the oomph of the WAP will be needed.

regards

david

Baldrick1

@Prologica 

You do not need two powerline units next to the 2704. You need one connected to one of the 2704N LAN connectors. The 2704N then gives you one 2.4GHz wireless channel plus 3 more LAN outputs which can be used to connect to all your other Ethernet connected devices in this area.

You neither want or need any extra powerline devices unless you need Internet in another rooom out of the range of either the Hub 6 or the 2704N. We will get there in the end, just keep asking.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Prologica wrote:

regarding the channels, the HH6 has the bands split on channels 1 and 11, so I set up the 2704n WAP on channel  36.

I assume that you have channels 1 and 11 set on the Hub 6 and 2704N respectively (or the other way around).

Channel 36 is 5GHz and is not available on the 2704N so that can be feft on Smart if you so wish.

Moderator and Customer

Prologica
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 

Thanks. I think there are two scenarios:

the current one which requires (at least) one adaptor at the HH6, the 2704n WAP and at the Humax box to feed the TV for catch-up. I currently have one pair of adaptors HH6 to 2704n WAP and one pair. I believe you were suggesting that could be reduced to three if the old Solwise 200mbps plugs will talk to the newer 600mbps (not 400 my error) plugs. The Solwise compatibility chart suggests this is possible but is not recommended (reason not stated).

@Townman  I believe was suggesting that by having just one adaptor at HH6 and two connected to the 2704n WAP, this would act as a bridge allowing the final adaptor to be used e.g. in the garage with the Buffalo router for improved coverage in the garden.

Have I understood the two of you correctly?

Prologica
Rising Star

My mistake - I have Channel 1 and 36 on HH6 and 11 on 2704n

Baldrick1

@Prologica 

My head is beginning to hurt! Let’s start from scratch.

You put one of the new powerline units at the HH6. This applies the data stream to your house wiring. At the other end of the house you put the second powerline unit and your WAP. This gives you both wireless and 3 Ethernet outlets. From this you can feed data to your Humax box and anything else that needs Internet access. If you can pair your new network to one of the older units you can plug this third unit in anywhere else in the house to get Internet access there. 
The probable reason why this pairing is not recommended is that data transfer will be restricted to the speed of the slowest, that is old, device.

If you really need to run a second network rather than run the three together then the fourth unit can be connected to either the HH6 or the WAP.

Moderator and Customer

Prologica
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 

CORRECTING TO MAKE BETTER SENSE!

Thanks. I think there are two scenarios:

the current one which requires (at least) one adaptor at the HH6, one at the 2704n WAP and one at the Humax box to feed the TV for catch-up. I currently have one pair of adaptors HH6 to 2704n WAP and one pair HH6 to Humax box. I believe you were suggesting that could be reduced to three if the old Solwise 200mbps plugs will talk to the newer 600mbps (not 400 my error) plugs. The Solwise compatibility chart suggests this is possible but is not recommended (reason not stated).

@Townman  I believe was suggesting that by having just one adaptor at HH6 and two connected to the 2704n WAP, this would act as a bridge allowing the final adaptor to be used e.g. in the garage with the Buffalo router for improved coverage in the garden. But still needs another adaptor at the Humax box unless the 2704n were sited nearby which is unlikely.

Have I understood the two of you correctly?

Baldrick1

@Prologica 

So is the crux of this issue that where you need wireless is nowhere near your Humax box?

Moderator and Customer

Prologica
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 We cross over posts again! I think I get your proposal but it depends on siting the 2704n within Ethernet cable range of the Humax box in the lounge. It’s currently in the kitchen diner where we spent the daytime hours. But I can see if that could work. Trouble is the TV and Humax box is right next to a Victorian fireplace and thick chimney breast so signal may not penetrate well from sitting Room (for Humax box and evening surfing) to kitchen diner (for daytime browsing and google mini hub for radio etc)

Prologica
Rising Star

But...the answer may be to use the now spare TPlink 2.4 range extender in kitchen diner!

Baldrick1

@Prologica 

Right, I get it now. I would try locating the WAP close to the Humax as that is where you need the bandwidth. You might find that you can get good enough signal to run your other devices. Alternatively it’s back to Plan B. If you can pair your old devices to the new network you could use one for your Humax and the other with a Buffalo WAP elsewhere. 

Moderator and Customer

Prologica
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 

Yes thanks we got on the same page in the end! I’m forgetting about the further Buffalo WAP for the moment...

With the 2704n WAPin the kitchen I’m getting 13.9 at the moment in the lounge over Wi-fi through a stud wall. That should be ok I think for the Zoom meeting I co-host on Sundays in which I stream video usually at 720. 

If it’s not practical for me to site the 2704n WAP permanently in the lounge, I can always transfer the WAP (or just the adaptor that serves it) into the lounge for my Sunday meeting. Then I can use the just-arrived Ethernet adaptor to run the meeting wired for a more consistent connection.

The Humax box seems quite happy running off the newer TP-Link adaptors at the moment.

So configuration choices for me at this end.

thanks for your help. And to @Townman and @RealAleMadrid 

Prologica
Rising Star

Tested the wired Ethernet to MacBook speed through the 200 mbps adaptor. 13.9mpbs same as on WI-FI pretty much. So no huge speed difference (at current Wi-fi performance!) but likely to be more consistent.