Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deterioration in Speed

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Deterioration in Speed

Understand, Dan, but something is causing the connection speed to drop - noticeably from the last half of May, it has become somewhat erratic, and that is why I suspect a BT/OR network  problem somewhere. Once an obviously failing frame was replaced at my local exchange (when I was on ADSL), I had a rock-solid speed until I switched providers - something in the region of 250 days, IIRC, and yes, I was a little obsessive about checking the router log weekly for any disruptions.😉

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@sdhuk 

Perhaps you had the answer you are looking for, but I find it rather disappointing you didn't show the courtesy to reply to my posts

sdhuk
Dabbler

Dan_the_Van - Apologies, I thought that was a conversation between you and @jab1. Looking back, you asked if they have found a fault with my line. I don't know. I'll happily update once the engineer has visited. Was there anything else that I missed that you were looking for a response on?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@sdhuk 

an update on your Openreach visit would benefit all

sdhuk
Dabbler

Reckoned to be a router fault. They're sending out a new one.

jab1
Legend

Who says it is a router fault - the last BTW Availability checker report indicates a low speed to your Master Socket?

John
sdhuk
Dabbler

That was the conclusion of the engineer who visited. I was heading out to work so didn't have time to ask too much about it. If a replacement router doesn't sort things, (sounds like it might not) I'll chase up Plusnet again.

jab1
Legend

OK. Mind you, unless the practice has changed and they actually advise Plusnet of their conclusion, you won't get one.

FWIW, personally, I think he just couldn't be bothered - as I said, the last BTW report you posted indicated a low speed at your master socket, which has nothing to do with your router - it is before it hits any of your equipment.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues. I've had a look at the engineer notes and I can see they've suggested that your router's developed a fault so you'd need a replacement. As your router though is not under warranty and you're also not in a contract, I'm afraid that we can't send you a new router without cost, unless you renew. 

If you do renew though you'll be able to get a much cheaper deal than what you're currently paying as well as a brand new router. Would you be able to give my colleagues in the Customer Options Team a quick call on 0800 013 2632? Alternatively, if you can PM me a contact number and when you'd be available, I'd be happy ask someone to ring you back. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

@Gandalf If that is what the engineer thinks, then I will in future (if I offer help), totally ignore the evidence in front of my eyes, and make really silly suggestions.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jab1,

From what I can see there's no definitive analysis on this thread to suggest either way. 

The router's currently getting ~55mbps which is within estimates of 50.2mbps to 72.3mbps. Line tests aren't showing any issues at Openreach's infrastructure and the connection has been stable for the last 5 days.

Based on this and the Qube engineer's recommendation, I think it's logical to replace the router as the next step. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

My apologies, @Gandalf - I was mixing two topics up. I agree with your comments above, but the customer has seen a deterioration in speed over short(ish) time, and earlier WAN logs have shown a number of DSL drops in a short period. We'll see if another Hub resolves this.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Gandalf 

can full log files from the Hub One be retrieved remotely? it would be interesting to see what the full history is.

Dan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not something I can do but @bobpullen might be able to. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet