Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited - HELP

deejayburnout
Grafter

Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited - HELP

Peeps
My connection has been pants recently. High ping and slow connection. Utorrent has stopped working completly and i can no longer access any of the private trackers i use.
Had a look through the router logs and noticed the following
Oct 22 22:08:16 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 5): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 50.183.145.36 Dst ip: 87.112.152.197 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited
Info Oct 22 22:05:05 CONFIGURATION mbus igd sync successfull
Info Oct 22 22:05:01 CONFIGURATION mbus atomic sync successful
Error Oct 22 21:54:43 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 50.74.184.190 Dst ip: 87.112.152.197 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited
Error Oct 22 21:50:48 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 2): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 69.144.240.78 Dst ip: 87.112.152.197 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited
Error Oct 22 21:47:14 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 84.234.249.139 Dst ip: 87.112.152.197 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited
Info Oct 22 21:41:58 CONFIGURATION mbus igd sync successfull
Info Oct 22 21:41:55 CONFIGURATION mbus atomic sync successful
Info Oct 22 21:40:08 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.74)
now never seen these before but can anyone tell me what is happening.
I do know that my steet cabinet is needed replaced as it incompatable with the fibre roll out in my area. There has been a few Openreach / Kelly Communication vans in there area. could this work be affecting it.
This is now the 4th day like this and i am becoming tired of spending my spare time trying various router setting/ router resets / port forwarding and what ever else i can try.. Online gaming for my wife isnt working and i am getting it in the neck for that also. my Vodafone suresignal box is kaput as well.
here are some stats
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:46:02
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,096
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 476.13 / 619.60
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.1 / 19.9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 18.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 10.2
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0
thanks in advance for any advice
36 REPLIES 36
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited - HELP

The destination unreachable message is nothing to worry about - It's your router correctly blocking unsolicited communication from other Internet hosts.
Regarding your connectivity issues, I suggest you look at this post and also run through the checks at http://faults.plus.net and take it from there.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited - HELP

Hi deejay,
Your line stats look really good for a 20CN service.  If your exchange supports 21CN (look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php ) you ought to do substantially better.
We need to see the results of a WIRED BT Wholesale speed test please.
Also check for P2P software activity in your network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deejayburnout
Grafter

Hi Townman.
my exchange is not enabled for 21CN but fibre is here. i will be waiting to get that.
AndyT
Grafter

Hi deejayburnout,
I'm sorry to hear of the problem's you've been experiencing recently.  I have escalated the fault ticket you raised this morning to the correct team, they will carry out testing of your circuit and should be back in touch within the next 72 hours with an update.
Thanks
deejayburnout
Grafter

Morning Andy
i am not sue that there is an issue with my connection as such as the internet does work. i can browse/watch youtube/strem netflix ok, but i cannot download files from my private trackers. i was thinking the Destination unreachable may have been the issue.
My ports are open and most of the time i cannot download / seed any dj mixes from said tracker. i sometimes get 10 mins of activity and then hours of nothing.
Could my port be open but blocked by Plusnet????
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Check the Plusnet Broadband Firewall settings (login required). Set it to Low if that doesn't block any ports you want to use.
You you may also have Safe Surf you may need to make sure it's off.
deejayburnout
Grafter

My firewall settings are set to off at the moment. Wanted to make sue that that is not an issue.
I will check my safesurf. Never heard of that though
deejayburnout
Grafter

my safe surf is not turned on so thats not an issue.
The port i have open is not within any of those ranges anyways.
FYI, its all working fine just now. hopefully it has fixed itself. i will keep monitoring just now.
Anotherone
Champion

Did you per chance reboot the modem/router after which it started working?
deejayburnout
Grafter

Router has been resarted daily for the last week without much change.
I restarted it this morning, but didnt notice any change.
EDIT
and just after posting this initally it just dropped out again. Web browsing is ok, utorrent just stopped.
Happy Happy Joy Joy
Anotherone
Champion

Well I can't think of anything at the moment which might be a feasible explanation. Very odd. You could make a note of which Gateway you are on and if you either gateway hop or reboot, keep a note again of the new gateway and just see if this crops up again on particular gateways.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Will check out my gateway, thanks
its now just fired back up for about 2 mins and then dropped out right away
i have started plotting a broadband quality graph as well. this shoudl be a live one for all to see.

EDIT --> Present Gateway
You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag04.
Question, how often dose the gateway change normally
This is located in City Lifeline House.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't forget if you are not on a fixed IP address, you'll need to delete that one and set up a new one if/when you lose connection/gateway hop.
deejayburnout
Grafter

my router is set to use the same IP address for my PC. hopefully this should be ok.