Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop cards or USB adaptor?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Desktop cards or USB adaptor?

We've had some strong cases in favour of PCI mattdanielc.
I've used both and wouldn't really argue strongly in favour of one over the other as I've had not problems with either.
If you're prepared to have a go at opening up your PC that may be your best route in the long run.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
The_10th
Grafter

Of course, once the exciting bit is out of the way then comes the important step of setting security up... Grin
mattdanielc
Grafter

Quote from: long
I get 6.5Mbps using an Ethernet connection but found that it was only 4.5Mbps using a USB wifi connector (I assume this is due to the wifi overheads).
So having decided to stick with Ethernet, to eliminate the long cable connection, I now use Home Plugs (by Solwise) and find that they solve the problem completely (assuming your PC has an RJ45 socket of course  Smiley )

Hi... still not made my mind up actually.  My dad does have an old PCI card I could have for free, but still wary of opening the PC... just don't like doing it!  There home plugs... is it safe to send the signal through a power supply?Huh
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Fitting PCI cards is very easy in todays PCs.
Shut down the PC and remove the mains plug. Wait 30 seconds then remove the side cover (or the full cover), identify a free white PCI connector, remove any blanking plate covering the whole next to the PCI slot, push in the PCI card, screw it in and replace the cover. Refit the power cord and you are done.
The system should detect the PCI card and either have a driver for it already or use the driver disk/cd that came with the card.
As for the homeplugs, yes they are safe and just involves you plugging it into a free power outlet. It just uses frequencies within the home wiring that can only be detected by the home plug itself and has no effect any any powered equipment being used in the house.
oliverb
Grafter

In my experience the two problems with USB wireless are
1: Its relatively slow availability, since USB seems to be initialised relatively late in the boot process.
2: Wide variation in driver quality, on an XP system its probably worth crossing your fingers and hoping for built in support.
In addition I've found a tendancy to suddenly lose DHCP support, but I've also seen this with PC-card wireless.
jnwright
Grafter

@mattdanielc
Solwise homeplugs are safe but Netgear have just recalled 82,000 of theirs.  See my post here.
mattdanielc
Grafter

cheers for the help guys as always.  I use Vista (to those talking about XP) but really still not sure which one I will do... I guess the PCI card as it comes free, but the problem is I won't have access to any vista drivers until I can get online obviously! 
So buying a brand new USB one with vista drivers already on etc appeals..
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: mattdanielc
cheers for the help guys as always.  I use Vista (to those talking about XP) but really still not sure which one I will do... I guess the PCI card as it comes free, but the problem is I won't have access to any vista drivers until I can get online obviously! 
So buying a brand new USB one with vista drivers already on etc appeals..

If your using vista the I take it the computer not that old so my already have a Ethernet connection.  My last 3 dell computers have and, my brand new Dell has wired and wireless connection

puddy
Kwak
Rising Star

My tuppence worth is : if it's a usb wifi isn't it effecitvely more like a 'winmodem' and uses more CPU in the sense it will offload what it's doing to software? I used a belkin USB, didn't like it. If it's a PCI I kind of assumed more would be done in hardware so less CPU use? I seem to remember the belkin did trundle along using a constant trickle of CPU. Don't know what the experience of others is. Oh and the belkin one had a crap reception Wink
Maybe on a very fast PC it might not make a difference.
You do get PCI cards with external movable antenna on
cables.
notheruser
Grafter

Whether the aerial is at the front or back for best signal depends of course, on where your Wireless Router is located  Grin If its just through the wall which the PC is sitting against, then obviously at the back is going to be best!
I've had some awful problems with USB adapters from different manufacturers using Vista. "Temperamental" is the best way to describe it, while remaining polite!
If you do go for a USB solution and use a USB hub as suggested, make sure it is a powered one, and not one which draws its power from the computer - some WiFi USB adapters draw too much current to be powered through a hub which doesn't have its own supply. I've seen these give awful intermittant, or "total failure" results.
You can get internal cards with an extension lead and base for the aerial to let you position it where you need to. that would be my choice.
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi again
Thanks for the help re aerial location.  Basically the router will be in the lounge literally directly below where the PC is in the spare room... so if the aerial is behind the computer, it actually ends up virtually on top of the router (if you see what I mean)
Going to install the wireless card tonight, hopefully all will work fine.
Puddy - yeah my PC is about 6 months old, also a DELL.  I don't think it has a built in wireless connection though, as I don't remember choosing it, and there's certainly no aerial sticking out the back of it, so guess not.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if that is your location try having the aerial horizontal instead of vertical