Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay - was due to have SOGEA because of OpenReach Stop Sell

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 274

Re: Delay - was due to have SOGEA because of OpenReach Stop Sell

If you can do this - it will only work on mobile devices - I would not, personally, use it for any sensitive or work-related activity, it is not very secure. The only time I use it is if I'm out and about and need general information, or just want to browse the web.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@jab1  I think you may be thinking of something else.

EE WiFi is available for any device with WiFi access, it was BT WiFi and a few other names before that. It is available to BT and new EE customers, or by anyone within range should you buy a package.

@Tashaxprince  If you search for available WiFi services on your laptop or mobile device you may see a number of connections in an urban enviroment, but maybe nothing if you have neighbours further away.

You can find out more on their website which also shows costs https://ee-wifi.ee.co.uk/public/ee/index.htm 

HTH

jab1
Legend

@Mustrum I was - apologies.

John
Tashaxprince
Dabbler

Thank you. My closet hotspot on the EE map is 436 metres away, does that mean I can’t use it? When I look on the wifi list at the house, there’s just a Sky and VM option from neighbours.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Tashaxprince  you need to be in wifi range to use the service.

jab1
Legend

So too far away at 438m, unfortunately.

John
paul_blitz
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

"Hello, no, the home hasn’t had broadband before."

It doesn't really matter if the rest of the street have broadband, computer says yours has not, so before they can install, they need to check the physical infrastructure, that's the way they do things.. The phone could be really old, and wired in. The phone line may have been disconnected somewhere. Many possibilities.

You'd be the first to complain if they just shipped you a router, you plugged it in.... and nothing happened.

Yes, it's a royal PITA, but rather than just complain (or complain to the previous house-owners... why did THEY never have broadband??!!), work with Plusnet / OR to get things installed.

One possibility already mentioned is to get a 5G internet dongle, and use it. People will claim it's not secure, but neither is your home broadband.. in most cases it's NOT a big issue, most sites you will visit use secure SSL now. (Using a public WIFI CAN BE VERY INSECURE though... but I'm not talking public wifi, I'm talking using the mobile phone system)

In fact, if your phone has "wifi sharing", that will work too.

jab1
Legend

@paul_blitz Unfortunately, you are correct in saying ' computer says yours has not, so before they can install, they need to check the physical infrastructure, that's the way they do things.. ' . However, the OP does not appear to have been back here since 1441 on the 18th - I suspect, like man others,  they have gone down a different avenue and possibly sorted the issue... .

We, no doubt, will never know.

John