cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default gateway

sully666
Grafter

Default gateway

As I'm experiencing issues with my broadband at the moment, I have purchased a new router, so I can discount the 582 from the issue.
As I have static IP, it says in the setup instructions that I need to input the default gateway. Is this a specific to Plusnet, or is it the 192.168.1.1 I have seen later in the instructions?
3 REPLIES 3
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Default gateway

It depends if you're talking about a Static IP address for your Internet connection, i.e. a Plusnet Static IP address, or a Static IP address for your computer/device.
If it's for your computer, then the default gateway will be the 192.168.1.1
If it's your static IP address for the internet connection, this is assigned by DHCP.
sully666
Grafter

Thanks for the answer  Smiley  It is for my internet connection.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Even though you have a static IP from PN, you still set up the WAN connection as DHCP.  PN's DHCP servers will always give you the same IP address.
Not only does this simplify the connection at your end, but if in the future your "static" IP address should get changed (for example certain product changes) your router will still work correctly.  "Burning in" your "static" IP now is likely to store up problems for you in the future.  Also I believe that I would be correct in suggesting that you will get assigned to a different gateway on each PPP session, even though you have a static IP.
So keep it simple and configure the WAN side as DHCP.
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.