cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Upload speed back again?

esseff
Grafter

Default Upload speed back again?

This happened when we moved house a month ago, and after mentioning it here, the default upload speed was uncapped back to 1.3mb. Now, 11 hours ago, after the router must have rebooted, it seems to have gone back again! Download speed remains unchanged. Why would this be?
12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Default Upload speed back again?

Because one of my colleagues turned interleaving on but forgot to leave the upstream uncapped  Angry
I'll go place an order to remove it now and it should complete overnight. I'll also pass feedback on about their error.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
spader
Grafter

I thought 1Mb was the max for upstream though? Or has this customer paid more for the extra 300kbps  Wink
Slightly related question: is it always better to have interleaving on, or are there occasions where it's not needed and it can be turned off?
esseff
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
So here's the issue for me now. I was getting a higher upload speed before, and I suspect this may be because interleaving has been turned on when it actually didn't need to be.
I did say to the chap I spoke to that I thought trying the router in the Master socket before it was seemed logical, but he said he would request it anyway, which seemed odd. Needless to say, the moment I plugged it in there my issues stopped and the connection became stable again.
So it seems something has been applied to the line that didn't need to be, and while the download speed is still the same, the loss of 300k in upload, while it doesn't sound a lot, isn't something I'm happy about as it wasn't very high to begin with.
Quote from: spader
I thought 1Mb was the max for upstream though? Or has this customer paid more for the extra 300kbps  Wink
Slightly related question: is it always better to have interleaving on, or are there occasions where it's not needed and it can be turned off?

Actually, it was closer to 1.2mb, sometimes even 1.12, but generally a bit higher probably just because I'm close to the exchange. I've never had interleaving on before this, and as it turned out to be a dodgy socket anyway, don't think there was any reason to do so.
esseff
Grafter

Quote from: spader
is it always better to have interleaving on, or are there occasions where it's not needed and it can be turned off?

I can't say whether on or off is better, and in a way, if it was off and is now on, and there is some difference, this is the only thing I can say about it.
So, do you think it should stay off, if it didn't need to be on?
spader
Grafter

I have no idea! I'm lucky to be close to my exchange so maybe I don't need it on (I'd certainly like as low a ping in games as possible).
My router was reporting no FEC errors when I last checked (away on holiday atm), and some say that means no interleaving. But there are conflicting reports about it (on by default) as well as upstream bandwidth.  Shocked
esseff
Grafter

Well, the upstream lowering is the thing I've noticed, and so perhaps someone from PN could add something to this?
I'm not an engineer, just a home user, and in the old days, I remember having interleaving turned off made quite a difference. It doesn't seem to have being turned on, and even though we did reply to the email sent out by PN which was returned undelivered, I ought to have stopped it from being done as it simply wasn't needed. But then, I never suggested it. Why would I?
There were dropouts, and this was just the result of where it was plugged in developing an issue -master socket solved it. Had I tried this first before contacting PN, none of this would have taken place.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't think Plusnet monitor incoming email so replying will not result in any action. The only method for contacting them is ticket or phone or this forum  Smiley
Interleaving is I think auto as standard so if the system on ADSL detects instability it will be applied. You can negotiate with a member of staff to have it permanently off but they would need to be convinced that the line was stable and had been for some time  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Interleaving settings depend on your personal preferences as well as your line. If you want us to make any changes, we're happy to do this for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Tony,
I suggest that's dangerous advice!  There are many around here who would prefer interleaving switched off just so that they can kill people a little quicker in their virtual war games irrespective of the consequential instability of their overall broadband service.
One's preference is not always the wise choice.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That's a fair point. As I wrote it, I was specifically thinking of gamers though who tend to want it off (Whether or not this is the best option).
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
esseff
Grafter

Quote from: plusnettony
Interleaving settings depend on your personal preferences as well as your line. If you want us to make any changes, we're happy to do this for you.

Thank you Tony.
Well, the line is stable, and has been since plugging into the master socket. All I can see from having interleaving turned on is that I have a slightly slower upload speed.
How long should it remain stable for before we consider turning it off? I'm not actually a gamer, and it's only that I do upload files that makes me want it to give me the fastest it is capable of handling.
It's not that it wouldn't disconnect from time to time, although nothing like it was, is it right to assume it should never lose sync unless something changes, perhaps at the exchange, or I reboot it?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

In this case, I'm happy to switch it off now (your line doesn't show any errors).
If you do suffer problems (you shouldn't) we can always switch it back.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team