Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciphering PlusNet technical support information

netman82
Dabbler

Deciphering PlusNet technical support information

Hi all,
I've just received the following update on an open support case, but as I'm a bit ignorant of ADSL's specifics I do not know what most of it means. Can anyone help explain please?
Your current profile is set at "WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 9dB Downstream, 448 Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)" this indicates interleaving is set to automatic and your line is not banded in anyway.
Upstream DSL Link Information  Downstream DSL Link Information    Loop Loss:  22.6  51.5  SNR Margin:  26.5  8.6  Errored Seconds:  0  0  HEC Errors:  0    Cell Count:  318  35298  Speed:  440  7320

Any help would be much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Deciphering PlusNet technical support information

I can decipher some of it and make a guess as to some of the rest
From the second bit
Upstream
attenuation 22.6dB
noise margin 26.5dB
speed 440kbps
This indicates that your upstream speed hasn't been uncapped as the profile is set to 448kbps and the default noise margin is 6dB from the first bit
From the second bit
Downstream
attenuation 51.5dB
noise margin 8.6dB
speed 7320kbps
With that attenuation your speed is absolutely amazing - you must have an extremely clean line as it has a default noise margin of 9dB from the first bit
If the default noise margin is set to 6dB I doubt that you would see much improvement as you will be hitting the limit on the higher frequency tones with that line length
netman82
Dabbler

Thank you Oldjim  Smiley
I'm struggling with the dB numbers. I don't understand how they work. What makes for good and bad numbers? What influences them and can they be changed in any way to improve the connection?
Also, you mention "with that length of line" - how can you tell what the length of the line is i.e. I assume distance from exchange?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Length of line is directly related to the attenuation and an attenuation of 51.5dB relates to a line length of about 3.75km (that is the total length of the wires between you and the exchange)
For the rest of it I suggest reading here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
If after that you have some more questions please ask
netman82
Dabbler

Thank you - I'll have a good read and post back with any questions.