Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deceived on Speed

James
Grafter

Re: Deceived on Speed

Hi there,
It's basically down to the infrastructure.  BT currently only offer ADSL (upto 8Mbps) but are soon to be trialling ADSL2+ (upto 24Mbps).  Japan has a far superior infrastructure than that of the BT Network and as such are able to offer faster speeds.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

then F9 etc should say so in their adverts or tutorials.

We do say that it's up to 8Mb, from this page:-
MaxDSL
[quote=Help & Support]It is also very important to remember the 'up to' in up to 8Mbps broadband and what this means. Up to 8Mbps does not mean that every line will see 8Mbps sync speeds, many lines will see sync speeds a lot lower than this because of the length or quality. Up to 8Mbps also does not mean that throughput speeds will always be full speed. Local contention will play a big factor and speeds will vary.
There is also a table on that page which shows the profile speeds in relation to the sync speed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

James, Dave and Chris,
My own experience may help other irate users understand the unpredictability of ADSL sync speed with respect to distance from the exchange. I live about 2Km from my exchange and my line travels about 2Km underground before going overhead for about 800m and then back underground for the last 200m. My Attenuation is 37db downstream.
When Max was activated, I was getting sync at around 5Mbps but it slowly deteriorated to just over 3Mbps. I checked everything including disconnecting Pin 3 to no avail until a Radio Ham neighbour about 100m away called to ask for my cooperation to find the source of broad spectrum RF interference which seemed to be coming from my home. 
We traced this to a 12V switched mode power supply which fed my CCTV camera. I replaced the PSU and that restored neighbourly relations. Coincedentally, my sync speed went up to 8096Kbps with an attainable rate of over 9Mbps. The Attenuation is still 37db and the SNR Margin is still ~ 6db. My Router is a US Robotics 9108 and is connected via an extension socket on 33 year old 4 core telephone cable some 20 metres from the BT Master NTE5 Socket.
I'm not trying to start an argument .... I'm just trying to say that length (from the exchange of course) isn't everything.  Wink
R
gswindale
Grafter

Indeed - practically anything could cause degradation of speed where electrical signals are concerned.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: cannylad
Hi, theres always an excuse no matter what you buy or get, its funny tho how in Japan they get 24mb +, I read that our broadband is one of the slowest, anyway if what you say is true and F9 want to hide behind that excuse then F9 etc should say so in their adverts or tutorials.

All depends on the infrastructure as James says. One of the reasons for the faster speeds in Japan is because of the amount of overhead cabling like this:

I know for a fact that would never be allowed by the planners round here and I suspect that's the same in most other places in the country. When you can easily roll out fibre like that and cut the copper run to a kilometer in most cases it does make faster speeds easier and cheaper to deliver.
Whether the reliablity is any better I don't know, anecdotal reports I've heard say that the fault levels are much higher and when contention kicks in speeds  do get reduced quite a lot.
Edit: Typo
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: dave
Michael what are you on about? No-one's blaming anyone and certainly not saying someone has no brain. Just because the fault you had was a BT line fault doesn't mean that every other case must be the same. You'd be amazed at how many faults that are reported to us turn out to be something that the customer can fix themselves.
If we report it to BT and an engineer comes out and finds that the problem is something the customer should have fixed, e.g. incorrect wiring or faulty filter then BT will charge nearly £200 for the call out. We don't want any customers to be charged this so in all cases the questions need asking and the tests need doing.

had you sent a BT engineer out the fault would have been found a lot quicker and their would have been no charge to me.
Why did F9 refuse to send BT out to me ?
why did F9 miss this fault?
Michael
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: geofftswin
Indeed - practically anything could cause degradation of speed where electrical signals are concerned.

Quote from: Wheel_nut

I'm not trying to start an argument .... I'm just trying to say that length (from the exchange of course) isn't everything.  Wink

Indeed, I've probably mentioned most of these before but over the last 7 years of working in broadband I've seen all sorts of things causing problems with broadband connections. There's the old favourites like the farmer whose connection dropped when his sheep brushed up against the electric fence that run under the telegraph poles, the man whose broadband dropped at lunchtimes because he lived above a chippy and the microwaves caused interference when cooking pies. Temporary traffic lights, street lights security lights and Christmas lights are other common causes. Then don't forget damaged cabling or flooded ducting. Rats, see here, mice, birds, cats, dogs and more...
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: puddy
had you sent a BT engineer out the fault would have been found a lot quicker and their would have been no charge to me.

Maybe, but if it hadn't been a BT fault would you be happy with a £200 bill?
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
puddy
Grafter

yes.
BT would have checked the line before the engineer came on site they always do. 
Dave the point of this is my BT line was a perfect setup for broadband new cabling inside and out all fitted by BT.  BT exchange across the road line length 150 ft to the exchange.  Nothing else sharing the line router connected to the master socket. Oh forgot excellent sync rate low noise on line it does'nt get any better than that
Michael
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Michael, with respect, F9/PN/MN have no way of knowing what is on a customer's line, who set it up or that the "fault" isn't someone who simply forgot to filter a Sky box when they plugged it in to their phone. As such, rather than risk large fines to customers you are asked to perform a number of tests to help eliminate internal problems, which BT themselves require ISP's ask.

F9 should have done the basic test they told me for 3 months that they was nothing more they could do.  F9 told me they had done all the test via BT
They lied BT had never been asked by F9 to do any line tests.  BT retail don't get involved but because of the nature of the problem and it had not being solved BT retail ran a basic line test and found the fault within 20 seconds and cleared the fault for me.
Why did F9 not ask BT to run a line check?
In addition before I made the call to BT a senior technical manager from F9 told me there was no line fault nothing could be done by F9 I disagreed and he swore at me down the phone I told him I was going to put the phone down if he swore at me again and he told me to f    o
The only reason I stayed with F9 is because my mrs pays the bill and she must be obeyed
Michael
puddy
Grafter

I'm not in a position to comment on this. If what you say is accurate though then I'd advise you to take this up through the complaint stream of your ISP rather than a public forum.

This is what forums are for!!!
I did complain to F9 but they said they could not trace the member of staff who called me
Michael
itsme
Grafter

Michael, with respect, F9/PN/MN have no way of knowing what is on a customer's line, who set it up or that the "fault" isn't someone who simply forgot to filter a Sky box when they plugged it in to their phone.

But BT tests can tell what's connected on the line, i.e Sky boxes. So if PN could have access to BT remote testing facility then they can go back to the user and ask for more specific checks to be done and not the more general checks.
Assos
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
I'm not in a position to comment on this. If what you say is accurate though then I'd advise you to take this up through the complaint stream of your ISP rather than a public forum.

This is what forums are for!!!

No, it's really not. The forums are here for customers to help other customers, with some input from PN. They are not a medium for raising official complaints.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

But if you are having an unusual problem it's often quicker and more effective.  Grin
cannylad
Grafter

Hi, I tried the speed test and I get an error it suggests my telephone number or username is wrong! Anyway I can't work out how my line is so much slower than my neighbour who also has a BT line and his ISP is Orange. I thought they were supposed to be crap..anyway he laughs at the speed i get and the price I pay for it. I am seriously thinking of changing my ISP but does anyone have a good recommendation, I could use SKY and pay £10 for their fastest speed but are they any good?
Thanks