cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead Ethernet port?

mplusnetuser
Grafter

Dead Ethernet port?

A couple of days ago, I booted into my PC to find no internet connection. Couldn't even reach the router's status pages. No Ethernet light showing on the ancient SpeedTouch 516. Plusnet suggested, and I hoped, that the ST516's Ethernet port had died of old age
But now, with a new Technicolor TG582n router, and new Ethernet cable, the same problem exists.
So, am I right to assume it's likely the (single) Ethernet port on my motherboard? If so, is there anything I can do about it? There was nothing physical happening to the PC at the time: the Ethernet just stopped working (and Network Connections reports it as "a network cable is unplugged"). The LAN is still enabled in the BIOS. And ... well, that's all the troubleshooting I can think of.
I'm going to try connecting to the Technicolor TG582n wirelessly for now (see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109001.0.html ).
Any other/better ideas? Any advice gratefully received :).
8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Dead Ethernet port?

If your PC is a desktop you can fit an Ethernet card - costs about a fiver.
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Does sound like failure of the LAN controller, not unheard of.
I agree with RR.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried a different cable?
Oops. Just re-read your first post - you have.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Thanks all. I don't have a free PCI slot for a network card, though I could sacrifice something else to make room, if that's the better option (I have a Freeview card which rarely gets used these days).
Would I notice any drawbacks with using a WiFi dongle, compared to a wired connection?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It'd almost certainly be a slower connection and would also have higher latency than a wired connection (not usually an issue unless you play online games, in which case it's often critical).
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It depends what you do with your connection,  if you play any form of game online then wired always wifi can create issues with gaming online.  If not then wifi will do.  I have my main pc wired to my router for gaming and my laptop for watching ondemand[Iplayer.4OD etc] sites on wifi
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mplusnetuser
Any other/better ideas? Any advice gratefully received :).

Yes, see your other/duplicate thread (and keep stuff in one place?  Wink )
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've locked this thread to let it continue on http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109001.0.html
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine