Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date Given for FTTC But can you Trial?

minimos
Grafter

Date Given for FTTC But can you Trial?

Hi,
I posted some time back about whether there was any information that plusnet have in addition to the ASDL checker, to which I was told there is none and the only the availability of service is provided by BT wholesale through their website.  The reason I asked this was because I had seen Openreach installing a fibre cab at the end of the estate but it was never showing on the asdl checker as supporting fibre (it has been like this for roughly 6 months).
Anyway some months have passed and now it says that my line supports FTTC with an estimated speed of 40 down and 10 up, but it also says that the an estimated cabinet activation date is not until 30th June.
A long shot this one, but with it giving an estimated speed do cabs go through a trial period before being generally made available to everyone and if so is there a chance I could be one of the guinea pigs for the cabinet?
Thanks in advance
Minimos
5 REPLIES 5
x47c
Grafter

Re: Date Given for FTTC But can you Trial?

Not any more I'd have thought.
The FTTC cabinet internal equipment/service concept is now an established one.
It is no longer experimental stuff.
So the particular cabinet will be installed and fully connected up to the exchange & power supplies
BT will indeed carry out their own comissioning trials on it, checking out it works properely, checking all the ports work, checking the backup batteries work under mains failure, the cooling fans work...etc..etc...whatever.
The commisioing test will probably be to a set checklist/sequence and may even be automtated to an extent.
Once these are completed then it will be 'opened' for the public to use, and that's it.
These "estimates" are because just like conventional ADSL until a phone line is actually connected no one can be sure how it will perform.  It all depends on many things but mainly the quality/length of the individual line.
James
Grafter

Hi Minimos,
I'm afraid not - we have to take up an 18 months contract on your line with Openreach.
minimos
Grafter

HI,
Thanks for the replies, I was clutching at straws really but if you don't ask!
James, last throw of the dice for me on this one, if I was to sign up for 18 months myself for the new product would I be able to get the service early, or is it as x47c states that this is now done that often that cabs are like a commodity and require no testing from users.
Desperate to move to fibre as I am beginning to stream lots of video, and with Sky+ any time just being activated for non sky broadband users I anticipate my thirst for bandwidth will continue to increase
Thanks
Minimos
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi minimos,
The cabinet is not live, so there wouldn't be any trial. The date of the 30th June is a place holder that BT put when there's no definite date. I would only suggest to keep checking, as this will change when they have a definite date.
Jojo Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I think BT definite need a swift Kick up the bum  Shocked i see a few here who are given hopes of FTTC being dashed by BT changing dates  Angry Angry
about time something was done to make them give a date and stick to it !
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .