cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL keeps cutting out and don't know what to do

Retr8bit

DSL keeps cutting out and don't know what to do

Hi there, wondered if someone could help.
I've been having some issues with my TG582n router these last several days. The internet keeps cutting out at random and will only come back on a) randomly b) if I unplug the router for several minutes then restart it (though this only works 50% of the time) or c) if I log into the router gateway and keep clicking the 'connect' to internet button until it works (which I've just noticed only seems to work when the DSL connection fixes itself)
Every time it cuts out it reports that the DSL connection is down. I've tried swapping the ADSL adapter, the cables and the phone socket but still nothing seems to hold a solid connection for more than at most an hour, or at least a minute. I've had this kind of issue before but it's only lasted maybe a day or so then resolved itself.
The only thing that's changed recently is a) plusnet did some maintenance a few days ago and b) there's been a lot of bad weather where I live.
So the first question is, has anyone else had this issue recently or know of how I may be able to fix it?
Secondly, is it possible the weather has some how damaged the internal wiring of my phone line? (though there is still a dial tone on the landline) (and I live in an apartment building and doesn't seem anyone else has any issues)
And lastly, how do I test everything so plusnet doesn't try to bash me with a £60 fee if they have to send out an engineer? And would it be better if I got my building's management to send their engineer instead?
Any help would be massively appreciated!
Feel free to ask for more information if it'll help
Thanks guys

4 REPLIES 4
Slim2k

Re: DSL keeps cutting out and don't know what to do

Sounds like the same issues as I'm having, apart from I don't need to reboot.
Started happening 3 weeks ago and has become worse to the point now, I've no connection.
Be interested in any updates, I'm waiting on a reply from plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Retr8bit
I'd strongly suggest going through the faults troubleshooter at https://faults.plus.net as this ask you a few questions and make sure the fault gets to the right place here for us to look into.
@Slim2k
I see you've been through the faults checker, our team here will pick up the report and respond asap.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The first thing to check with intermittent connections (especially if it seems to be weather related) is whether the phone line is clear with no background noise. Dial 17070 and use option 2 for the quiet line test.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@Retr8bit
Whilst not perfect, your connection seems to be a lot better today. Please try the advice offered by jelv and that offered in the tracker and let us know how you get on. We can then advise further if required.
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team