Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL disconnect when phone rings

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

DSL disconnect when phone rings

I had a few disconnections last night that happened as the phone rang.
All phone sockets have a filter connected.
Any thoughts what else to check?
My line is still in the 10 day "training mode" so don't want rogue disconnections affecting it.
20 REPLIES 20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: DSL disconnect when phone rings

Plug the router only (no phone) in to the test socket inside the master socket and then try ringing your number using your mobile. If that still causes a drop raise a fault. There's no point in waiting till the end of the 10 day training period.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chenks76
All Star

this is quite an old style phone connection in this property. it doesn't have a recent style "master" socket.
the line comes into the house with a little brown rectangular box and the a line from that to a standard phone socket (without a removable faceplate with a socket behind it).
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Can you hear any noise on the line at all?
If you don't have a Test Socket, I would advise trying an alternative microfilter (and router, if you have one), if the problem continues, you can raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and our Faults Team can get that sorted out for you.
chenks76
All Star

no noise at all on the line
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As Jelv suggested - but with a twist
Phone in using a mobile but without a phone connected - does it still drop out
Mine did and it was the ringing signal which did it even though it wasn't ringing in the house but I had to leave it ringing for a while
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I had a similar issue in the past. It didn't always drop out (if we answered it quickly enough), but what was absolutely consistent was that while the phone was ringing the router was logging hundreds of errors in the router stats.
AndyH
Grafter

It might be worth just trying the quiet line test (17070/Option 2). This gets rid of the dial tone so you can hear better if there is any noise.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If your phone line is provided by PN ask them to do a voice circuit / copper test.  Otherwise use the automated test on BT Retail's site here - https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21
At least this might identify / rule out a POTS fault.  If you find hat there is a line fault, do not mention the BB issue, less BT just direct you back to your BB supplier.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anniesboy
Rising Star

I experienced this issue myself a couple of weeks ago.
Problem turned out to be dodgy filter on a Sky box,it might be worth trying  new filters.
chenks76
All Star

well this is still happening for me.
when the phone rings, DSL disconnects.
it will then reconnect (the Technicolor router does take an age to reconnect) and be fine until the phone call is finished.
it then disconnects again.
also, last night the connection dropped about 3 times in the space of half an hour - but no phone calls during that time.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you raised an actual fault about this? Just posting on here won't get it looked at.
chenks76
All Star

no point raising a fault until i know it actually is a fault.
might be an internal issue in which case no point raising a fault.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: jelv
Plug the router only (no phone) in to the test socket inside the master socket and then try ringing your number using your mobile. If that still causes a drop raise a fault. There's no point in waiting till the end of the 10 day training period.

If the router is the one supplied by Plusnet there is no point in not raising a fault.
oliverb
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
this is quite an old style phone connection in this property. it doesn't have a recent style "master" socket.
the line comes into the house with a little brown rectangular box and the a line from that to a standard phone socket (without a removable faceplate with a socket behind it).

If this is still happening can you say a bit more about how your phone is connected? It reads to me like you have one non-standard master socket that's been added to older GPO wiring? If so then does that socket have hard-wired extensions running from it? If it does not have extensions then it is effectively your master and test socket.
If it does have extensions then you probably have one of those problem installs where the new sockets have been shoved straight onto old phone wiring, in which case it really does need a master socket fitting though there may be ways to work round it.