Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Type reported by Router under 21CN looks odd

Routefinder
Grafter

DSL Type reported by Router under 21CN looks odd

Hi All
Any insight on this ~ I am currently in the 10 training period for the ADSL2+ but the Thomson TG585v7 still says:- DSL type as G.992.1 annex A
Now I thought with ADSL2+ it should be saying G.992.5 possibly with one of the Annex qualifiers.
So does look kind of odd to me  Huh
13 REPLIES 13
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: DSL Type reported by Router under 21CN looks odd

HI Routefinder,
It is odd. You're definitely on ADSL2+ but with your sync rate I would have expected you to be put onto ADSL1, which would be G992.1. I've known routers choose G992.3 over 992.5 but didn't think it was possible to put it to 992.1. What speeds are you currently getting?
Jojo Smiley
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Jojo
As per my thread over at TBB I am now on 3.1Mbps test result page here Note ~ I am sync'ed at 3808 with a margin of 6db, as noted on the TBB and Ticket this dropped from 4256 after approx 48hours into the 10 days
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/133068757099961015550.html
And there is Ticket running  Wink at which one of your colleagues also remarked that this some sort of "reporting error in the Router" now if this requires a hard reboot of the router obviously I am not going to that now  Grin
So any insight would be welcome as apart from this oddity I am actually getting ADS2+ speed appropriate for my long line though maybe another oddity BT Speedtester as at 13:22 hours said IP Profile 3.36Mbps and speed 3.32Mbps and AFAIK on PlusNet my IP Profile is 3.7 last time I checked.
TIA for the added insight but "on paper" the measured speed is looking AOK, isn't it???
And my last test at Speedtest.net

And do note this speed is more than I was getting under ADSL Max the max of whcih was last 2.8Mbps
dick:quote
Routefinder
Grafter

I normally run RouterStats Lite and that does not show the fuller router information so I downloaded the full version which more thoroughly reports the routers data.
So in case the routers own page of info was so to speak mis-reporting the DSL type here is RouterStats -
xDSL Type                    :  ADSL
xDSL Standard                :  ITU-T G.992.1
xDSL Annex                   :  Annex A
Channel Mode                 :  Fast
So as noted something is odd as the router is indeed saying ADSL (max) not ADSL2+ even though the exchange has me on it and the speed increase(s) I have seen since switching to the ADSL2+ do only make sense for the new service................................so I wonder what the answer is???  I do so hate a mystery  Huh  Edit ~ FWIW I think I was Interleaved under ADSL Max !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I would say that you are on a 21cn line, but you speed is far to slow to be on ADSL2, the normal min for that is 4M, and on a dodgy line you often see 992.3 instead of 992.5
for full line stats try this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php as you are not reporting enough details
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi pierre_pierre
Here are the full stats off of the Router info page
Link Information:

Uptime: 3 days, 5:41:00
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,808
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 53.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 35 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 209 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 116 / 7,582
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 71 / 3,736
Still good at 3.1Mbps
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/133087225462892514121.html
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from another Kitz page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Estimation of your maximum rate adaptive adsl speed you are 3.8 km from the exchange and you max IP profile is  3500 on dsl max annd ADSL2

Routefinder
Grafter

Many thanks for the link to that 'calculator'  Smiley
When I was ADSL Max the IP was 3.0 and best measured speed I had was 2.9Mbps but was more typically 2.2 to 2.7 over many months.
The switch to ADSL2+ during the first 48hours the sync was 4256 but the IP did not catch up but since now sync'ed @ 3808 with the IP at PlusNet on 3.7Mb I now have waht seems to be a healthier measured speed of 3.1Mbps  having said that I surmise the training protocol is possibly still likely to do another reset so will have to see what that holds but on the face of it the actual speed I will end up with will be greater than with ADSL Max so that will be OK  Grin
But coming back to my OP, why the heck is the Router reporting the wrong DSL type even though the apparent evidence of the sync and IP infes it s indeed ADSL2+ Huh
Looking forward to Jojo & team answering that one  Wink
PS Though the BT Speedtester gives DL speed of 3.39Mbps but the IP Profile of 3.36Mbps, does that seem right or is there some sort of mismatch in the system???  Or an idiocyncrasy of the "training period..." ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Routefinder,
On further investigation it appears that the router can indeed use G992.1 Apparently it just means the modem decided that the best modulation mode for the line was g.dmt (ADSL1) The only way to get around that would be to force ADSL2+ on the router. Some routers have an interface for this but with the Thomson you would need to run a telnet command, which is quite long as far as I know. My advice would be to let the router do its thing and decide the best configuration.
Jojo Smiley
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Jojo
So in some respects the mystery continues  Shocked
Well I think the 10 day training needs to finish before I even think about further action and logically the first step after the Training would be to hard reboot the router and see if that "resets" the DSL type.  But as for the Router 'deciding' well dare I suggest the Router is in fact stuck i.e. the TG585v7 does/will not in some circumstances change to ADSL2+ automatically Huh  But I am still getting an improved measured speed compared to ADSL Max !!!!
I wll keep an eye on it as it seems to have settled at the current sync.  But what about the mismatch I noted on the BT Tester, which for the record at last test last night made a minor correction in that the measured speed is not lower than the IP Profile figure..................................................though the TBB tester shows me still at 3.1Mbps..........................what IP am I now on at PlusNet towers???
PS May be time to switch back to using my Netgear router Wink
PPS In respect of the training period ~ once complete does the FTR figure still get set like under ADSL and ADSL Max, if so what of the future?  How flexible is ADSL2+ i.e. if I sync at higher speeds in future but the measured speed is low(er) how do I remedy that situation???
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Routefinder,
Your current Plusnet profile is 3300, which is correct for your current sync rate.
With ADSL2+ the profile will always be 88.2% of the sync rate. It shouldn't go lower than that.
Jojo Smiley
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Jojo
Many  thanks for the info......................though you did not answer my (other) questions  Wink
However, keeping an eye on things I note that the sync is still solid at 3808 though the router log shows a discon/recon approx 8hours ago???
Did a TBB speedtest and got 2.9 then 2.5 so ran the BT test and got a dl of 696kbps with the IP 3.36Mbps.............................................................re-ran the TBBB and got 3.0 Mbps, obviously cannot rerun the BT test again  for an hour but I wonder what is going on???
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

PPS In respect of the training period ~ once complete does the FTR figure still get set like under ADSL and ADSL Max, if so what of the future?  How flexible is ADSL2+ i.e. if I sync at higher speeds in future but the measured speed is low(er) how do I remedy that situation???

Yes, that's set as part of hte 10 day line training period. Assuming we were to identify an issue where your FTR did show as being very low or under the sync rate we can submit an SNR reset to trigger the line training off again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Adam
Okey dokey, as noted I look forward to the training period to complete and as such how the line and my router behaves in reporting the correct ADSL2 or ADSL2+ DSL type after I power cycle it???  But also what you can tell me about the FTR figure in respect of how it compares(?) to the sync rate???
PS A little annoyingly though the sybc rate has been stable and the IP also so I have lost 100Kbps on mmy measured speed (using the TBB tester).  Now to most folk that is nothing but when I was getting 3.1 a drop to 3.0 is a biggish loss  Wink
PPS Though the BT tester says 3.18Mbps  Undecided