Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Status - What Does It All Mean?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: DSL Status - What Does It All Mean?

I think it would be worth PMing Jameseh or phoning support to find out what they think your user name is (particularly the bit after the @) and, if it hasn't changed, what realm your line has been assigned

We've already checked that Paul, it's not altered at all Sad
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zubel
Community Veteran

Time to :mand: BT a little, methinks Smiley
B.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Somewhat overdue methinks Roll_eyes
James
Grafter

@ Anotherone
Because we've already placed the order to downgrade the service back to the previous product which prevents us from raising a fault.
Not applicable

Quote from: Jameseh
Good call James, that was exactly what I thought initially, but that wasn't the case.
Even if it had been, he would have been able to log into bt_test@startup_domain which he wasn't able to do so.

I kinda suspected that'd be the case, but didn't know if BT as standard provisioned the @startup_domain realm as well as the ISP specified one(s)?
eg.
@startup_domain,@plusdsl.net,@plusdsl2.net
Was just thinking that if they did have to provision the @startup_domain, it may have been possible for them to have somehow removed all realms leaving the field null, and thus failing whatever domain was attempted.
Wasn't sure of the actual process or background structure behind the provisioning of realms and the necessary addressing for them - presumably it has to be held in a DB somewhere against the asset (line) id. If somehow its <null> rather than something useful...
Depending on how/where its held, a simple accidental edit, removing the "," may have borked it.
James
Grafter

Hi James,
I'm not sure if it's done in a CSV format, but it certainly sounds like a possibility.
Not applicable

Would requesting an additional plusdsl2.net realm for the OP work as a trial to test the theory?
If this other realm being added works, it should follow that it either fixes all the problems, or determines that the issue must be elsewhere.
Again, I dunno whether you would just request an extra realm to be added, or if you have to request *all* of the realms that need to be active on the account. (ie, do they update the field, or replace it?)
Only musing - /me is not a CSC bod - you know your jobs better than I do.
/looks for UPS delivery driver delivering APC UPS longingly.
James
Grafter

Surely that would just add another comma separated field rather than replenishing and adding?
Tbh, I don't know, I'm just musing in the same fashion you are Smiley
willscott
Dabbler

Got up this morning, and crept down stairs with no expectation, other than to see a flashing DSL light. I was surprised to see it was steady. I fired up the PC, and crossed my fingers as I attempted to browse the web.
I'm now reconnected!!!! 'Downgrading' to 2Mbps has fixed the problem.
Now for my next question. Why was I not able to connect on IPStream Max? Clearly there is nothing wrong with my hardware, line or account, so it must have been a BT issue.
At some point I would like a faster service, so I'd like to know what the problem was, and whether it would manifest itself again if I was to upgrade.
Thanks to Chris and James for helping me. I have to say that I'm far more impressed with the support you have given over the support via the PN ticketing system.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
To be absolutely honest with you, we're pretty certain it was a BT misconfiguration error as part of the upgrade.  Obviously this shouldn't have happened and I can only apologise that it did.
Glad it's sorted now.
Not applicable

If the OP had a sync of 8128Mbps, doesn't that indicate that its unlikely to be unsuitability of line causing the problem?
Should be a pretty high-performing line shouldn't it?
Incidentally James, did you spot Liams post over at PUG about one of his referrals having a problem - can sync, but not auth with PN details, nor either BT test details.
Sounds like an awful coincidence, coming as it does during/after the problems BT had with their systems last week.
James
Grafter

It should have worked fine James.  Which is why we drew the conclusion of it being a misconfiguration, based in none of the logins working.
I'll try and pick up on that PUG thread later on today.
amcclean
Rising Star

Out of interest in the first two screen grabs for the linksys you upgraded firmware and saw no difference in sync.
I noticed that a change of router has shown that you can, with the Phillips, sync at 8128.
I used to connect at 8128 but found that for the last year my sysnc has been about 4000 to 5000 I wonder if this is related to the linksys range? did swithcing to the phillips really show that increase in sync to 8128 if so maybe i need to change my router to get the full benifit back once more.
podman