Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Link down since Monday :-(

moonmonkey
Dabbler

DSL Link down since Monday :-(

Hi there,
Since Monday afternoon (21st September), my router has been unable to get connected to the broadband.   Embarrassed
The DSL sync light is off on the router and the router admin console just says "disconnected". When running the setup wizard on the Netgear DG834GT, it simply says:
The Setup Wizard was unable to detect the Internet connection 
The Wizard was unable to establish a connection.
Please check the DSL cable before continuing

I've tried a different router and that says "DSL Link down". I've tried different microfilters, have unplugged everything, except for the broadband and have tried different rj11 cables between the socket and the router - still nothing
The phone line for voice calls is working fine
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm meant to be working from home all next week (little one on the way imminently) - pretty stuck without this link to be honest.
Nothing changed on the home phone setup for years, went ont the ADSL2+ a while back with no problem.
The exchange is only 300 metres from my house
The only thing that has ever looked dodgy is the phone mast that has about 20 houses connected to it, but the phone is working ok.
Anybody have any ideas at all - I've been through the broadband fault checker and done everything it has suggested and its not raised a ticket - that was Friday and I've heard nothing since. - Question raised is ID: 30132268

Thanks for your time and thoughts
Cheers
Andy
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: DSL Link down since Monday :-(

Hi Andy,
I'm trying to get a line check run on your line, but it's taking a really long time.
Can you confirm whether you have managed to test your service from the test socket behind the master faceplate?  If you have one that is.
moonmonkey
Dabbler

Hi Jameseh,
I don't think I have a master socket in the house as far as I am aware - its just a normal BT socket that seems to link to the telephone cable outside
Thanks,
Andy
James
Grafter

Andrew,
Looking at our connection logs, you've been connected for the last 17 hours?
moonmonkey
Dabbler

hmmmm  - i'm not at home at the moment, so the router may have reconnected itself in the past day? i'll check with my wife tonight
Will let you know...
moonmonkey
Dabbler

Hi Jameseh,
Checked with my wife and shes says the internet is now working and the sync light has come back on on the router, but its extremely slow - nowhere near as fast as it was until the outage.
She ran the broadband speed check for me, and where it was 1.54MB's downstream previously, it now only returns 472k downstream - she ran it at various times of the day for me.
She rebooted the router a couple of times, but no difference - she says browsing in general is extremely slow and has resorted to using a 3g dongle instead.....
Any ideas?Huh
Thanks
Andy
James
Grafter

Hi Andy,
It's possible that DLM has kicked in and it's caused a higher noise margin to be applied.
If you maintain a stable connection for 3+ days, this should revert to its previous level.
moonmonkey
Dabbler

Thanks Jameseh - have just tried this at home and its seems to be back to its usual self, so glad it wasn't my router or internal phone setup - must have been at BT's side I guess.
Down stream is 12207 kbps (1.53MB/s)
Upstream is 811 kbps (101kB/s)
Thanks
Andy
James
Grafter

Thanks Andy.
Good to see things are back again.