cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS weirdness

tonycollinet
Grafter

DNS weirdness

Router was set to get dns from plusnet servers. It had selected 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10.
This has worked fine for 3 days (when I got this router). Just now I was having really weird problems. Most pages unavailable. Plus community site OK. Plusnet main site intermittent.
I'm using chrome - when a page failed, it offered to show me the google cached version, but the address it directed to for this was IP based, rather than URL based. (IP address of google). This worked fine.
I've just manually put in the DNS servers 212.159.13.49 and .50
These seem to work fine.
Anyone any idea what was going on?
174 REPLIES 174
Hobbit
Dabbler

Re: DNS weirdness

Not sure about the dns problems but am having exactly the same sort of problems as you (thought I was the only one until I saw you message). Intermiitent connections with most pages unavailable. It has does this a couple of times this evening and then just starts working Ok again? Guess some sort of problem at Plusnets end but no doubt they will admit to nothing!
thejudge
Rising Star

Yep, it's pretty weird.
Can't tracert to www.plus.net, www.bbc.co.uk, usenet.plus.net, etc. Coming up with "Unable to resolve target system name..."
Can tracert to the Community site, but although the times are reasonable, it takes ages to come up with a node name.
Edit: Portal unavailable as well.
thejudge
Rising Star

I disconnected and reconnected to a different gateway, and that seems to have solved it (sorry, can't remember which gateway I was on before)
kittylitter

Quote from: Hobbit
Not sure about the dns problems but am having exactly the same sort of problems as you (thought I was the only one until I saw you message). Intermiitent connections with most pages unavailable. It has does this a couple of times this evening and then just starts working Ok again? Guess some sort of problem at Plusnets end but no doubt they will admit to nothing!

Thats a +1 from me, driving me nuts tonight, was convinced I'd caught something nasty until several virus/malware scans came back clear and I came here to see if it was just me!!
jnwright
Grafter

Not sure it was a DNS issue, but I had problems this afternoon.  I gateway hopped but saw the problem several times.
My router caches DNS most of the time so often I got e.g. Waiting for community.plus.net in Firefox and several automatic email fetches failed in OE saying that the server did not respond in a timely fashion.  Sites I had not visited before came up with no connection probably because the addresses were not cached locally.  Tracerts failed if I was quick enough to run one before it went back to normal.  I didn't lose sync at all.
I've seen this happen recently on several occasions using two different routers.  Notable sites were community.plus.net and news.bbc.co.uk and various others inside and outside UK.  I have a feeling that when this happens, the DNS servers are unreachable, and the router cached DNS address is also unreachable.  My SIP, which is referred to by its name in the router, also failed to register on one occasion.
My computer has the 4 plusnet domain name servers as well as the router DNS hard-coded so as to get round most DNS problems.  The router gets its DNS servers assigned automatically.
This afternoon was most problematical for me, the situation improved as the evening went on.
sp1261

Had this prob a few times lately, last night was bad..kept getting the looking up page message then timing out.
Seems ok this morning though.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Sorry about this guys. We had a problem last night (ref: 57301) that seems to have been caused by us manually running one of our DNS scripts earlier in the day. It's a little odd as this script runs automatically every 45 minutes anyway. Theoretically running it manually shouldn't be any different.
The problem seemed to clear of it's own accord shortly before midnight and our network engineers will be revisiting the problem this morning. We have found that one of the real servers behind the virtual IPs that customers use is failing health checks in the load balancer. Initial investigations suggest that it's been like this since 3rd July so that might explain why some of you have seen this over recent days too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

How come there wasn't a service status posted?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If there had been it would have saved me a load of aggro switching DNS servers to try and isolate the problem
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Still not fixed - using 212.159.13.48 and 212.159.13.50 - retry of the site succeeded
James
Grafter

Thanks Jim - Networks are looking at this currently.  Bob should have an update later on in the day.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: adiewoo
How come there wasn't a service status posted?

Sorry about that! I'll make sure this is flagged up today.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LiamM
Grafter

Yep, I'm getting lagging DNS and timeouts again too this morning intermittently.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

This was very frustrating yesterday evening, totally failed DNS lookup for some time, then it might work again for a while.
Also failed to complete a credit card transaction which was a pain.
Proved it is Plusnet DNS servers by manually setting different DNS addresses on the network connection.
I still don't see any service status report for this problem.
Not impressed.