Did you mean: 

DNS stops working?

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: DNS stops working?

There shouldn't be latency of 5-10 seconds on the LAN, not even on Wifi,
Are you able to configure your IP addresses for DNS servers (say google 8.8.8.8 ) manually in each client, this will allow to eliminate all DNS issues completely

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: stuartb
I found this article interesting:  http://petecooper.org/tutorials/changing-dns-servers-on-a-technicolor-tg582n-fttc
He's commented that the PlusNet DNS servers are located together, which seems to be a big snafu.  I can't validate this, and I haven't run traceroutes etc (kind of think that PlusNet should be checking this sort of thing themselves!)

He's wrong! There are DNS servers at more than one of Plusnet's London data centres.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pragmatika

Quote from: jelv
He's wrong! There are DNS servers at more than one of Plusnet's London data centres.

Hi, I'm Pete, I wrote the article linked above.
I was mistaken, that is true. I've updated the article now with an appropriate explanation re: load balancers.
Thank you for the clarification.
stuartb

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: stuartb
I found this article interesting:  http://petecooper.org/tutorials/changing-dns-servers-on-a-technicolor-tg582n-fttc
He's commented that the PlusNet DNS servers are located together, which seems to be a big snafu.  I can't validate this, and I haven't run traceroutes etc (kind of think that PlusNet should be checking this sort of thing themselves!)

Glad to here that.
Any chance of finding out why they're so unresponsive (and fixing it)?