cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS server problem

prl42

DNS server problem

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
At random times (usually once or twice a day, usually for about 5 minutes) I find that I cannot get a response from the DNS server.
Any other activities that are in progress carry on quite happily and I can access web pages provided that Opera does not need to use DNS for (i.e. reloads or child-pages) but all new web page requests or those where Opera decides to redo the DNS lookup, fail.
I've only raised one tiket on this when the problem lasted for a much longer period but the only response I got back was a cut and paste: "I can confirm that ... are operating correctly" (or words to that effect).
Well, they would be, wouldn't they? Otherwise how would I have raised the ticket?
I really don't see how this can be anything at my end otherwise why is it just DNS lookup that fails?
Does anyone else get this?
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: DNS server problem

Which DNS servers are you using? When this problem occurs what results do you get when trying to ping bbc.co.uk and then ping 212.58.224.131
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pd
Grafter

I too have seen the odd intermittent DNS failures, usually at busy times, which is why I switched to OpenDNS.
Peter
prl42

Quote from: Chris
Which DNS servers are you using? When this problem occurs what results do you get when trying to ping bbc.co.uk and then ping 212.58.224.131

The setting for DNS servers is "get DNS server automatically".
I'll check the pings next time it happens but I'll lay money that the 'bbc' address will fail and the dotted quad will succeed.
prl42

Quote from: pd
I too have seen the odd intermittent DNS failures, usually at busy times, which is why I switched to OpenDNS.
Peter

Thanks for reminding me about OpenDNS.
I've switched to that now. Let's hope that makes the problem go away.
I don't think my problem was limited to busy times. When it failed it failed solidly but when it came back there were no delays or intermittant 'hangs'.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

TBH I tend to have one of our DNS addresses as the primary server and an OpenDNS as the secondary. I'd be interested to know if you continue to get these type of issues.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
prl42

Quote from: Chris
TBH I tend to have one of our DNS addresses as the primary server and an OpenDNS as the secondary. I'd be interested to know if you continue to get these type of issues.

I'll make a note and post in a couple of weeks if the problem doesn't recur.
It seems to have been a lot worse recently so that should be long enough.
If it does recur I'll be posting sooner.  Smiley