Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS question

wuggywugrat
Grafter

DNS question

Apologies for the dumb question.
My connection has been getting slower and slower - often taking up to 15 secs to load a page and speed tests failing etc., so I thought I'd better check the dns settings on my router.
It's set up to obtain DNS settings automatically from the ISP.
Both the primary and secondary DNS were set to 212.159.6.10.
I guess this isn't right and have manually put in other DNS settings, but are there others who also are automatically getting 2 dns settings which are the same?  Is this a problem at my end or at PN's?
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: DNS question

If your pc is set to obtain DNS automatically, it will get them from your router so I suggest you check that as well.
Normally your router will get 2 different IPs: 212.159.6.9 & 6.10 or 212.159.13.49 or 13.50
wuggywugrat
Grafter

That's what I thought.  It's the router that's getting the 2 same addresses.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Have you tried disconnection/reconnecting the router to see if it still gets the same single IP?
If it does raise a ticket as something is wrong.
Has changing the DNS manually speeded up your connection. If not try the following OpenDNS IPs (after doing the test above):
wuggywugrat
Grafter

Yes it was after rebooting the router yesterday (several times) in an attempt to fix the slow loading problem that I found that the router was picking up the same dns. 
Having changed the dns this morning it all works much, much faster - so it seems like my router has been "automatically" picking up the same dns for both slots from Plusnet.
Each time I've disconnected the router it's gone and picked up the same dns address for both slots.  I got the different dns numbers from PN tech support this morning and they say the problem is at my end. 
I'm not so sure.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The only thing I can suggest is to reset the router back to its factory defaults and set it up again. Sounds like something has got corrupted in the config.
You could also try a firmware upgrade if its not up to date and remember to do a factory reset afterwards.