cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problems

SD11

DNS problems

Hi All  Smiley
I Hope someone will be able to help with a problem I am having with DNS on my home network.
I have 2 windows and 1 Linux machine - the 2 windows machines are having the problems and the Linux machine works fine, this would rule out the router and beyond as the source of the problem.
One windows machine connects to the router via Ethernet the other by wireless.  both machines give "server not found" type errors in both Firefox and IE, only very occasionally will a page load, however if i use a resolved name i.e http://216.239.59.104 then the page loads instantly on both machines.
The problem started a few weeks ago and also affects my mail client (outlook) which can be attempting to connect over a period of hours before a successful connection is made.
I've checked things like the "Hosts" file for malicious entries as deep down i have a feeling it possibly a virus that is causing all the problem, although a full system scan picked up nothing.
if anyone knows how to fix this problem or knows of a virus that behaves this way I would be grateful to hear from you.
* I've also tried - flushing DNS cache - deleting all cached Internet pages, cookies etc - changing IP addresses / DNS Servers from static to assigned and back again
Many Thanks,
Steve.
3 REPLIES 3
prichardson
Grafter

Re: DNS problems

What DNS servers are the three machines actually using?
The only obvious only thing that ties the problem together is that it is Windows exhibiting the problem.
This may point to something wrong with windows itself and seeing as one of the most recent windows updates was to patch a DNS issue, does this be related?
Are you using Zone Alarm?
You may wish to test the patch theory, by looking at fix 3 on the following page.
http://users.plus.net/status/archive/1215686055.htm
Uninstalling this can be temporary, so it can be re-applied afterwards if needed.
SD11

Thanks Phil,
I don't use Zone Alarm I use McAfee total protection 2008, but it sounded like to much of a coincidence not to give it a try. after uninstalling the patch everything was back to normal and working fine  Grin
Unfortunately this does leave a security gap until i've figured out a workaround, I'm in the process of updating McAfee but they have no reported issues with the windows patch.
Anyway thanks again Phil  Wink
regards,
Steve

prichardson
Grafter

Interesting to say the least. Agreed, not seen any specific issues other than with Zone alarm, but given the proximity, it was an obvious candidate to look at.
Glad it is resolved, even if only for a short period.