cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problems

Db2102

DNS problems

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help at all. I joined Plusnet a few months ago and ever since I have had DNS connection problems. My connection is usually fine during the day but come 21.30 it drops out. I can almost set my watch by it. I am now getting fed up with it as I often want to use the net at night but become unable to do so. I have tried changing to Google's DNS settings but the problem remains. Sometimes if I reboot the router it will be ok for 5-10mins then drop out again.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: DNS problems

Set the DNS servers in your computer - does this fix it
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What makes you think it is a DNS problem? It sounds as though you could be losing sync with the exchange. What modem/router are you using?
If it's the 582n do the Power and Broadband lights stay solid green or does the Broadband light start flashing?
Posting your modem/router DSL stats (click on View more) could be helpful.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Db2102,
What router are you using? I'd suggest leaving your router on 24/7 as well as checking your idle timeout and setting it to always on, as an awful lot of those disconnections are happening at 30 minutes on the dot.
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

How odd, those (similar) length intervals on Wednesday (2), Saturday and Sunday where there are no drops. Was your computer on during those times? Was there anything else on (or off) during those times that is usually off (or on)?
Db2102

Hi, thanks for your replies. I am using a D-link DSL2680 router I had from my previous provider. My speed isn't great as I live in a rural area,  but I cannot understand the constant disconnections.
I will try leaving the router on and see if that helps, although I did try that a few weeks ago without much success.
As for changing the idle setting, how do I do that? (apologies I am a techno-phobe!).
Yes the computer was on on the wed,sat,sun unfortunately I wasn't in so cannot say what else was on. Nothing usual though that isn't normally on. Probably the tv but that is only freeview not sky/cable and not connected to the internet.
Thanks for your help, and any further advice would be much appreciated.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Go to the page where you set up the user name and password in the router. On that page is a box labelled Idle Time Out; make sure it is set to 0 (any other setting is wrong!).
(Manual found at: ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-2680/manual/DSL-2680_A1_Manual_EU_1.0.pdf - see page 23)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Db2102

Thank you
adie:quote