Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problems with Technicolor TG582n

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: DNS problems with Technicolor TG582n

There's also an understanding that we're allowed a decent window of opportunity to fix any problems that may arise. Anyway, glad I'm glad to hear things are working, give me a nudge if it goes awry again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Wondering how your investigations are coming along and if a permanent fix for the TG582n DNS issues has been worked out yet?  There are more entries appearing on these forums with similar problems. Also the customers don't seem to be too happy with advice they get from Chat or if they phone. Are all your CS people aware of this issue?
GPS
rsinbad
Dabbler

I'm wandering that gpsmout.
I have the same issue with  TG582n DNS.latest firmware update .  I was initially told that I could upgrade to a new contract  where I would get a better router or if not, I could buy one for £99 as my router was out of warranty ? Now the router worked fine until the new firmware was pushed out by plusnet Huh
Spoke to another adviser who checked things and said make sure your router is kept on and  its should resolve itself in a few day. Still here with websites dropping out on my pc and wireless laptop . No  response to my reply on my issue.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

hello rsinbad
today I found that there are even more customers likely to be affected than has been suggested: Users of Windows XP Vista and W 7 can also be affected.
I would think that PN are overwhelmed by the problem and unlikely to know what to do! My thinking is that they have been very let down by manufacturer Thompson, and are struggling to give meanigful advice to users.
The "fix" does work . You either need to request it is pushed to your router via this forum , or use telnet and do it yourself ! It's actually not that difficult and there is no need to actually unserstand what you're doing as the intructions are  clear;
On a windows PC type Run in the start box
In the dos wndow that opens type :telnet 192.168.1.254
user name is "admin"
password is " router serial number" as shown on the label on base of router
type : dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled
then : saveall
then : exit
That's it!
Good luck

rsinbad
Dabbler

Well looks straight forward I think ?
But quite annoyed by the initial response and the lack of response to my problem
Thanks for your response  gpsmout
rsinbad
Dabbler

must be putting the wrong things it doesn't seem to work ? doesn't ask for the user name and password ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: rsinbad
Well looks straight forward I think ?
But quite annoyed by the initial response and the lack of response to my problem
Thanks for your response  gpsmout

The problem with this issue is that it is difficult to profile.  I spent a year on and off identifying what is going on here.  It is only quite recently that the symptoms have been clearly identified - an interaction of behaviours between some OS environments and this router.  Bob is aware of the issue due to direct contact with him.  Out of that a technical solution is being explored.  Whilst the above configuration change seems to avoid the issue, the full implications of the change are not fully defined.
See - https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The issue of spoofing was actually identified towards the end of June 2013 in this thread where in reply #33 Matt Turner of Plusnet Products advised about turning off WANDownSpoofing. This was referenced in the thread mentioned above in reply #102 which gave a short summary of the issue and turning of WANDownSpoofing.
I turned off DNS spoofing on my TG582n based on Matt's advise. The "the full implications of the change" were that the problem was resolved as no spoofed addresses were subsequently encountered.
Quote from: gpsmout
today I found that there are even more customers likely to be affected than has been suggested: Users of Windows XP Vista and W 7 can also be affected.

Quite correct gpsmount. There's even been an Ubuntu user encountered the issue. The only difference between  Win8/10 and other OSes is the way you actually encounter the problem for want of better words.
@rsinbad
Have you got Telnet activated on your OS? You need it to be activated so that when you type Telnet 192.168.1.254 at the cmd prompt, you then get prompted for the TG582n username and then password.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

I hope you have managed to fix this but if you have not yet gained access to your router to carry out this fix , then you may need to ensure a couple of things first
1) this is best applied to the router over a wired Ethernet connection rather than wireless
2) ensure telnet is enabled on your computer
then type carefully only the text as follows inside  parentheses (")  also ensuring you leave the correct spaces between instructions
at the cmd prompt
type "run"
type "telnet 192.168.1.254"
you will be prompted for username
Type "admin"
you will be prompted for a password
Type the  password which is " the routers serial number" as shown on the label on base of router and it is case sensitive ie soething like  "CP1234ABCDE"
type : "dns server config WANDownSpoofing = disabled"
type : "saveall"
type : "exit"
Anotherone
Champion

Slight typo there gpsmout -
You usually click on "Run" and then type  cmd  in the box, to get the command prompt. Then the telnet command.
All that typing should be without the " quote marks to be clear btw  Wink
I did recommend here that the cache be flushed before exit
dns server debug spoof clear
dns server debug spoof list
exit
The list command is just to check the cache is clear.
rsinbad
Dabbler

Ok thanks guys for your support  maybe telnet is not activated where do i enable Telnet ?
Thanks for your patience
rsinbad
Dabbler

Ok I have enable telnet and followed your instructions not sure if its worked will monitor it to see if connections are not  dropped
Thanks all for your feedback .
I must say I'm somewhat disappointed with plusnet's lack of support 
Anotherone
Champion

My suspicion is that they are rather inundated with issues and this one has just added a large chunk to the list, so they'll be appreciative of community solutions when it's possible.
Anotherone
Champion

You can check that the change was implemented by doing a Config Backup and looking at the Backup file. It's a good idea to do a backup anyway, because the change you have done - and any other changes you may have made to the default configuration before, will not survive a factory reset. Reloading a config backup would be a quick way of restoring all your custom settings should it be needed at any time.
Log into the 582n GUI, depending on your screen after log in select >Advanced Options  at the bottom of the screen if need be, then
On the LH menu, select >Technicolor Gateway then >Configuration then >Save or Restore Configuration  from the bottom of the page.
On the Backup& Restore screen, click >Backup Configuration Now.  You'll be prompted with a default filename of user.ini which you can change if you wish, when prompted for the Folder to save it in.
Once saved (it's a text file), open it with a basic text reader (eg. Notepad or similar) and search for WANDown. You should find it in the [ dnss.ini ] section where it should say WANDownSpoofing=disabled
HTH.
rsinbad
Dabbler

Thanks  Anotherone 
I have made a backup and WANDownSpoofing  is disabled . So far the fix seems to have  worked .