cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problems loading websites

artemisworks
Hooked

DNS problems loading websites

In the past few weeks, I've been having endless problems with my internet connectivity and I'm at a loss about why this is happening.  Undecided
To be more specific, I seem to not be able to get DNS to resolve web addresses, while I can still ping the Google DNS servers such as 8.8.8.8 which confirms I am still connected to the internet. My broadband modem lights are always on and green and do not indicate any physical connection problem either.
But from time to time, I lose my ability to query web addresses and both Safari and Firefox will try unsuccessfully to load websites. Wait another 5-6 mins and then suddenly everything works again. Needless to say, this has become exceedingly frustrating.
Thinking the problem was with Plus.net's DNS servers, I switched over to using Google's 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.4 but I'm still having these intermittent problems. Worse still, sometimes the BBC news website will load, while other websites will hang interminably - and then suddenly all load after several minutes. Or sometimes the webpage itself will load but any images will NOT be loaded. I will still be able to ping those websites successfully though.
I no longer know whether the problem might be with my broadband or my Mac itself.  Tongue
Can anyone tell me where to start looking?!
(yes, I've flushed my DNS cache on my computer and it hasn't changed things much).
Thanks for reading this far!
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: DNS problems loading websites

When you changed the DNS servers was that on the Mac or on the router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
artemisworks
Hooked

I changed it on the computer only.
The router has it set to Plusnet's DNS servers still. Do these settings override the DNS settings on the computer?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Do these settings override the DNS settings on the computer?

No, the servers specified on your MAC should take precedence over anything set on the router.
Have you/would you be able to try another router?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team