Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problems for some months. Tried 2 Netgear and 1 Belkin modem routers

Haydon
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: DNS problems for some months. Tried 2 Netgear and 1 Belkin modem routers

I have been fiddling with my settings (bad habit!) and, for some reason, I noticed the router's DHCP server was entirely disabled. This was why manually supplying ip address details was effective this morning. Not sure how or why the DHCP server became disabled. I think you have to disable it in order to make certain changes to the configuration, but I don't recall doing so. It is true I have been telnetting in to make a few changes here and there.
This problem would apply equally to wired and wireless connections, for what it's worth.
You can check whether the DHCP server is up via the Telnet interface, e.g. install the Windows Telnet client from Control Panel "Programs and Features" .
Open a Windows command-line shell (cmd.exe)
Telnet 192.168.1.254
admin
[Password]
dhcp server pool list
There should be a pool called "LAN_private" and "Admin" should read "Up" if the DHCP server is operational.
If not,
dhcp server pool config
name:LAN_private
state:[change disabled to enabled]
[Press Ctrl-G]
saveall
Then type Exit to get out of Telnet
Johnrmp
Dabbler

Hi Haydon,
Thanks for your advice as to how to find the DHCP server status by looking “under the bonnet”. Smiley
However, I was able to look at the Belkin router webpage, which showed that the DHCP router was enabled, with 1 LAN and no WLAN clients.
I found this strange, as I was looking at the router webpage with my Dell laptop connected via WLAN, and my Network-attached storage (WD MyBookLiveDuo) was also connected to the router. I then dug out my old Asus eeePC running LINUX and connected it by wireless, and the router then showed 1 LAN and 1 WLAN clients.  Perhaps that is a question for another day!?
ReedRichards idea got me thinking, and I have now activated the “Broadband Quality Monitor” with Thinkbroadband. This continually pings my router, and provides an ongoing graph with minimum, average, and maximum latency, and percentage of dropped packets. I will be particularly monitoring the dropped packets. I had to turn off “Block ICMP Ping” on my router to have this work.
The website is: - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html
Hopefully, if the connection does go down, this graph will show it.
Thanks
Johnrmp
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Haydon
I have been fiddling with my settings...

Bad idea whilst fault-finding.  I suggest next time you try another of your stable of routers, you reset it to factory state first.
Johnrmp
Dabbler

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your help over the past couple of weeks.
I'm continuing to run the Thinkbroadband Quality Monitor, to see any significant lost packets. This detected a group of lost packets between 2pm and 4pm on 8th February.
Plusnet first line support also kindly sent me of the dropouts on my line since 31st January, and this shows several line drops, including between 3pm and 4pm on 8th February.
First line support suggest raising a fault ticket if the problem re-occurs, so that a fault agent can look into it.
If and when the problem re-occurs, I'll do that, and send them the results of the Thinkbroadband Quality Monitor during the time of the fault.
Thanks again,
Johnrmp
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Let us know how you get on and if anything changes.