Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problem??

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

DNS problem??

Been getting a lot of DNS errors this evening.
        DNS Servers . . . .  : 212.159.6.10
Is is just me ?Huh
12 REPLIES 12
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: DNS problem??

What kind of DNS errors?  How do they manifest?
cjags
Aspiring Pro

DNS lookup errors when surfing the web. Big websites that usually work like Amex, Asus, etc.  Not little sites.
Because I am using the Plusnet DNS servers, I wondered if it might be a Plusnet problem.
Have had a scan for Trojans / viruses and nothing found.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

How do you know they are DNS lookup errors?
Please explain the nature of what you are observing.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Sounds reminiscent of some of the other threads I've seen around these parts of late. Namely the ones here, here and here.
We've an internal problem raised to track these complaints (ref: 66275), however we're struggling to identify any obvious problems with the network itself.
One theory is that it's CPU spikes on the traffic management switches, however we've seen one or two complaints from customers who are connected to under utilised switches so I'm not 100% confident this is the cause.
Either way, we're going to reload all of the switches throughout the course of today. I'll post back once this has been done at which point I'd be interested to hear if people are still having problems...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

All switches are now reloaded so if you do see the problem again tonight please let us know and the times the problems happen. Also if you do notice the problem could you also post any times when things are normal as that may help correlate against what we've done today.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
cjags
Aspiring Pro

No problems at all yesterday evening. Smiley  Cheers.
@fourfourdevon
They are DNS lookup errors because the web page that gets displayed says "DNS Lookup Error".
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Your using Chrome?
NGNet
Grafter

Bob, I was seeing similar issues with what appeared to be short bursts of packet-loss for about a week until you reloaded the switches, at which point the problems disappeared... until about 10:50 this morning.
Currently on thn-ag3 after jumping from thn-ag2 when I first noticed the problem. (using plusdsl2.net domain/realm)
johng88
Dabbler

All looking good now no problems at all. Look like reload all of the switches worked  Smiley Smiley
pittdj
Grafter

Indeed, the reloading of the switches, whatever it means, has done a lot of good. Sporadic sluggish browsing has been an aggravation for a while here, in the absence of other evidence I assumed it was a local problem here, and that the move from 20CN to 21CN a few months ago had not been entirely beneficial.
There remains a query over the performance of Safari here which can still occasionally stall in mid fetch but I rather think from other sources that Safari has issues of its own.
All seems good with Firefox 4 and IE9, and Apple Mail has stopped showing the rotating ball of doom.
Thanks for the fix.
woodsider
Grafter

All good here now. Consider my "What's up?" to be answered and dealt with.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Good to hear it's done the trick. Just so you know we'll be routinely reloading the switches every four weeks or so from now onwards to help avoid this happening again in the future.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵