LiamM
Grafter

Re: DNS preggers again

DNS Oddness for me now 09:00 - thn-ag1.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

OK, I'll pass the info on to networks that you're still seeing some issues. Thanks.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It seemed zippier yesterday, and so far this morning. On pcl-ag03. (Only been on this one a couple of days).
cromozone
Dabbler

Yeah seems pretty quick this morning. Will see how it is late this afternoon Smiley
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Not seem this before today, but at the moment the internet feels like im wading though treacle. Google times out most of the time, and alot of sites time out but are OK on reload. Flushed DNS cache on PC, and rebooted router to clear its cache, but no better.
Anotherone
Champion

That's strange, Google is the one I've consistently had no problem with, except once ages ago.
There've certainly been times when things have been like treacle, but it's the unpredicatable pregnant pauses that are a real pain. It does seem better at the moment.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Odd thing, using my Desktop system, thinks were sluggish and timing out. Reverted to OpenDNS things seemed better.  Using my laptop now, and things seem all OK, with no changes at all. Any suggestions.......
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

news.bbc.co.uk (or perhaps its newsimg.bbc.co.uk) and www.google.co.uk time out on my desktop system but www.yahoo.co.uk (for instance) comes in brilliantly. What is strange (to me) is that my laptop, connected to the same router as the desktop brings both news.bbc.co.uk and google in reasonably well (I have seen them faster but at least they arrive).
Now my laptop runs Linux and my desktop is XP - so I can't do any very sensible comparisons of settings - but nominally they are both set the same way in any case. Do the PlusNet DNS servers treat different IP addresses differently and are the IP addresses of my two machines different? (Must be otherwise the answers to one machine would appear on the other!)
The desktop has been set up for several years and mostly works very well. So the problems are new and nobody made any adjustments to it before the problems arose.  This has certainly been going on since lunchtime today.
Is this compatible with what others are finding? (If not, any suggestions).
Why is the last update on the Service Status thread from last Friday? (its 21:19 on Monday now - so the forecast 18:00 update has not happened) (I guess it will be answers on a postcard ....  to that one!)
If its my fault then I apologise in advance - but if it is Plusnet - why don't they understand their system well enough to fix it a good deal quicker than this - its not very professional in my view.
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

(Grovel Mode On)
Alright I  apologise - within seconds of my previous post I found a set of entries in my Hosts file that appear to have been the problem. Once I removed them - everything works well. So it was my fault - not Plusnets. Why does it always happen like that - its hours since I started trying to find the problem.
(Grovel Mode Off)
What I am not clear about is how those entries got there. I certainly did not add them recently. I notice that SpyBot admits to being able to add entries there but I see no reason that it should do so - or maybe the numeric addresses have changed recently out in the world but not on my system of course. I am interested in any thoughts on this.
Be3G
Grafter

Things seem rather treacle-like this evening - for the last hour or two. Facebook and Twitter both take a while to load, if they even load at all. Huh
grudkin
Grafter

I would Agree with the above post!
I experienced the same effects around that time too, even the PN portal and Community forums where like thick treacle. Sad
I noticed that the service status page has still not been updated yet since the 17th!
@Plusnet Staff
How long is this likely to continue for?
scootie
Grafter

not even noticed any slow down and was surrpised when i saw the dns issue on the status page the other day.
not read through all the thread but is any one on the thn-ag2 box on the trial seeing the slow down?
Anotherone
Champion

I have found the community site in particular and the portal on occasions to be like thick treacle for weeks and weeks now, so much so I was thinking of starting a post on what traffic shaping was applied to them. Things seem improved at the moment but there is still an odd pregnant pause.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Guys, are we talking about intermittent timeouts/resolution problems here or just general slowness? If you're just getting slow speeds then I'm not sure it's related to the same problem, especially where things like wwwimg.bbc.co.uk are concerned as that particular URL points to the Akamai content distribution network that's traffic managed during peak hours.
It's lookup failures, email timeouts and routing problems that we're looking for examples of ideally.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cromozone
Dabbler

Since the weekend I've not seen any real issues to be honest, everything that I need to use day to day is working OK Smiley