cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS issues

batfink

DNS issues

For the last week or so I am getting intermittant failures to find the DNS server. I changed from using automatic DNS lookup to using the google DNS server but this has made no difference. Are others having the problem? To be honest I am now at the last straw with Plusnet. I really would like this fixing.:(
6 REPLIES 6
ethos
Dabbler

Re: DNS issues

What steps have you taking to diagnose and what issues are you actually seeing?
gregb49

I am also having DNS problems, but only with a new router and only with a few sites, namely barclays.co.uk and some others, whether I use the plus.net automatically provided ones (212.159.6.10 & 9) or with google's DNS server (8.8.4.4 & 8.8.8.8 )  This has been going on for over a week. My very old 3Com router has no problem connecting, so is it a router problem or something else?
Router EDIMAX AR-7284WnA (firmware 1.0.2)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We haven't had any reported problems with access to Barclays so it's probably your MTU / rWin settings. Kitz has an excellent page that describes these settings, what they do and how to tweak them.
Please let us know how you get on.
gregb49

Quote from: BenTrimble
Please let us know how you get on.
EDIMAX support have just recommended that I return it to Comet, so I've just done that, before reading your post. I have spent too much time on this router, but would have liked to have played with the MTU / rWin settings, for my own satisfaction, as I don't think that there was anything fundamentally wrong with the router. I'm now in a quandary as to which router to buy to replace my ancient but functional 3Com router with its dying power supply. If I'm right and ASDA sell a lot of these, as they seem to have a pile of them, then some other plus.net customer is going to hit the same problem.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: BenTrimble
...Kitz has an excellent page that describes these settings, what they do and how to tweak them.
Kitz is v.g. but if you have Vista or Win7tweaking is not recommended.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Don't forget that we can always send you a router for £4.99, so long as you stay with us for 12 months.